Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

866-833-2569 scam

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

I've gotten phone calls from this number for the past 3 days now.  The first time I answered, they asked for "Grant."  I've never even met anyone named Grant, but when I told the lady that no one here was named Grant, she seemed to think that I as lying.  So I hung up.  Then, yesterday and this morning, they call back again at 9:30 am.  I answer and they say nothing.  I googled the number and apparently it's a credit card scam trying to get your info.  I called back and told them to stop calling me and used some pretty strong language.  If they call again, does anyone know what I can do get them to stop calling?  By the way, I don't even have any credit cards, so there is absolutely no way that I can be overdue on payments.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SxyPanamami83
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM

my parents have been getting all kinds of calls from different places lately. jamaica, jersy, cuba. i told  her its a scam or something

neenerashley
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Call your phone company and have them block the number. ALSO Google " do not call lists" And you can put all your info in there and if they call you back you can press charges.

mirandar2001
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Have you gone to donotcall.gov and registered your number? Tell them if they call you again that you will report them to the police for harrassment.

kasey22
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM

On my cell, I constantly get the ones about car warranty expiration.  I always ask for my number to be removed, but it never is.

These calls have started on my house phone.  And my number is unlisted.  I need a way to make them stop.  Apparently, tons of people have gotten these calls.  When I googled it, there were a ton of different people saying that they had gotten them for months.

MawagaMom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I got calls from a credit card company saying I was going to be taken to court for missed payments and had to pay now.  I told them I don't have a credit card.  Only bank cards here.  They told me that the card was in my name and I had to take it up with an attorney then because I was obviously having my identify stolen.  No I don't.  I have a credit block on my credit report and in order to apply for a card they need to call my cell phone.  Yeah you can do that.  The guy got reeeaaaallly quiet.  Um.  Yeah.  Goodbye.  Never got a call again. 

kasey22
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Thanks, ladies.  I've registered my home number, and mine and DH's cell.  These things frustrate me so much.  If they call again, they are getting another ear full from me.

neenerashley
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM

When i first got my number i had at least 10 calls a day asking if " i still had land for sale" or " are you still renting out the trailer"... I dont have land, I dont own a trailer. i STILL get calls from Missouri fire Dept asking for donations. I live in new mexico lol. I get calls for Donations from Cancer socitys and other orginizations all the time!.. It gets annoying, but i feel bad and dont hang up i just tell them " im house sitting" lol

bribribri
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I recently got calls from a debt collector for a strip club...yes...a strip club. I certainly don't own a strip club, and never heard of that business or it's owner in my life. They felt pretty dumb, I'm sure.

.::i absolutely adore::.
|my husband and son|

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

jcsg
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM

My husband kept getting this scam call saying that he won a gift card w/ $200.  Yet, they needed his credit card # to verify and charge him $20 for shipment.  He would play along with them and argue about if he actually won, then they wouldn' t need to charge him at all.  After a few calls, they then switched and said that all they need to do is verify his phone #.  (obviously so they could charge through the phone bill)  So, he gave them their phone # that came up on caller id.  Haven't heard from them since.

Angelbluewingsz
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM

let them know in plain english that they are calling a cell phone.. it is illegal to call a cell phone for the purpose of solicitation and a legit company will apologize and sometimes they can tell you where they got the number so you can nip it in the bud....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)