Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chewing gum and toddlers

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

Anyone allow it? My DD (24 mths) found DH's Extra (sugar free) gum on the table and took a piece out and started chewing it. I freaked out bc I don't want her to swallow it and it get stuck in her throat, but I watched her for a second to see if she was going to chew it or swallow it. She just chewed away on it like you're supposed to. We really aren't gum chewers, DH chews on occasion when he is working and can't smoke for an oral fixation, which isn't something she witnesses....so it baffles me that she knows to chew this and not swallow it. I have since taken it away and told her it is for older people, but was curious when others began allowing their kids to chew gum.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Lacy_2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM

About that age.. I dont' normally allow themt o have gum though. Only when someone gives it to them.

These are merely my opinions, NOT facts. What I state is what I have learned with my kids as a mother, after all isn't that what cafemom is about- Mother's giving other Mother's advice. Advice is just opinions NOT facts.
jessdamian77
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM

my one year old got a hold of a piece the other day and was chewing it for a while. Until she got bored with it and started to play with it. I just have a fear of her choking OR it getting into her little baby hairs....

i personally dont think gum and little ones mix.lol

my2kids0506
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I just started letting my 4 year old have it and I wo uld rather her not have it. She takes it out of her mouth and plays with it and it drives me crazy she has already got it in her hair once. I don't let my son have it and he is 2.5

azn_ladie82
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I didn't let my oldest chew gum until he was 3. He is now 4 1/2 and wants gum when ever he sees me chewing a piece. As long as you watch your LO, I don't see a problem with it. I'd cut the piece of gum in half though.

Are you a proud preemie mom of a NICUGRADUATE? Click on my NICU blinkie to meet other moms of preemies just like you.

Angelbluewingsz
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM

nope.. my oldest is 9 and I still don't allow it...

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Not yet...my oldest is almost 5 and the last time he got ahold of gum, he tried to wear it as a necklace, so hes not allowed to have it. My DD is only 20 months, so yeah, shes really not allowed to have it lol!

single_and_preg
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM

My friends 16 month old chews gum alot, everytime we go to the store he wants to buy some. My son is only 9 months, but I dont think Ill let him have any until hes atleast 2.5.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)