Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need opinions... Take it or Leave it?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I take the Time Out Bench or No?

Options:

Take it with you

Leave it at home.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

Ok So. I have a time out bench for daniel in our hallway. Its not a very big bench just a one person seater that you would use to take off your shoes or something. Just a mention of the bench works better at times than a No, or a hand smack. I think it works because he HATES to sit still.

Anyways, I am driving from ND to TX for a vaca for a month,  but what i am wondering is if i should take the bench or leave the bench? Should I try to find a substitute spot at my grandparents (where we will be staying)? Or not screw up something that is actually working and just take it with me?

Thoughts?

toddler boystorkamerican flag ribbonair force

by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Lacy_2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:54 PM

It has nothing to do with the actual bench as to why it works. It works because you force him to sit there in that spot.. You can find something that will work when you get to TX. 

These are merely my opinions, NOT facts. What I state is what I have learned with my kids as a mother, after all isn't that what cafemom is about- Mother's giving other Mother's advice. Advice is just opinions NOT facts.
2007mommy2be
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I say take it with u, so that he knows he needs to behave. He may act up more knowing it isnt there.

squidlife4me
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I say leave it.  I think that if you are able to get him to do time out at your grnadparents in a certain spot it helps reinforce that you mean business.  We have a time out spot here too.. its in the corner.. but if need be my son will be in timeout no matter where we are.

The other day we went grocery shopping and he was acting up so I put him in timeout in the water isle with his nose against one of the water jugs! 

Kristen5476
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Your kid, so you know him best, but here are some things to think about.....

Does he associate the bench as the only time out area?  If so, you'll want to take it.

Do you have a week or two before you leave?  Maybe try another time out area in a whole other part of the house so he can see that "Take a time out" is what he needs to follow, not just "Go to your bench."

Just two thoughts for ya!

dreamerinluv
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I have to agree with some PP and say leave it behind and pick a diffrent time out spot while away....the point of time outs is to reenforce your rules and limitations & for them to learn there are consequences......you dont really want him to FEAR "the Chair"....does that make sense??

bouncing momkissing dad

Steph1499
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I say take it.   I am one of those people that prepares for everything and I would hate to get to tx and  have heck trying him to sit somewhere when he already knows thats his timeout bench.    But thats just me.

MamaDiedrich
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Quoting Kristen5476:

Does he associate the bench as the only time out area?  If so, you'll want to take it.

Do you have a week or two before you leave?  Maybe try another time out area in a whole other part of the house so he can see that "Take a time out" is what he needs to follow, not just "Go to your bench."

I have a week from today before we leave (UGH SO not even REMOTELY ready lol) And yes that's the only place he ever has time out cause we never really go anywhere. lol.

toddler boystorkamerican flag ribbonair force

Kristen5476
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I'd try the other time out spot thing this week.

Quoting MamaDiedrich:

Quoting Kristen5476:

I have a week from today before we leave (UGH SO not even REMOTELY ready lol) And yes that's the only place he ever has time out cause we never really go anywhere. lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)