• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O of extracurriculars post

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

Are extracurriculars important to you?  Do you believe children should participate in some type of sport or organization?  They are very important to me an my DH and we want our children to be able to try new things.  I was involved with cheerleading until middle school, then I joined band.  In high school I was in marching band, concert band, color guard, Junior Civitans, and a bunch of other clubs.  I was never interested in sports.

So far our children have done t-ball and bowling, we'll be adding soccer and karate in the fall.  We're trying to find a music/dance program for our youngest.  We decided a long time ago that if they expressed an interest in something we would not stop them and would encourage them to try new things.  If it got expensive I would go back to work to support their activities.  My parents always encouraged me to try whatever I wanted and I will do the same thing with my own children.  So do you let them do whatever they are interested in trying or do you set limits?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
shecallsmemom04
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM

yes, i do feel it is important.  children benefit greatly from extra activities.  and my children can choose to do whatever they are interested in, as long as it doesn't interfere with their education.   so yes, i suppose there's a limit, school is more important. 

bluesky51201
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Oops I forgot tomention school.  I definitely agree with that, I could do whatever I wanted as long as my grades were good.  My oldest is in kindergarten and our youngest is in preschool so we have awhile before activities could start interfering with school.  I was talking more about money.  If you put a monetary limit on what they can do.

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

yes, i do feel it is important.  children benefit greatly from extra activities.  and my children can choose to do whatever they are interested in, as long as it doesn't interfere with their education.   so yes, i suppose there's a limit, school is more important. 

Lacy_2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I let them do what they want but I do feel sports or extracurricular activities are very important. Just to get them involved in other things. I do think there are times that the kids do too much though. They need to rest and take breaks from things. I mean it should not interfere what so ever with school or anything like that.. 

These are merely my opinions, NOT facts. What I state is what I have learned with my kids as a mother, after all isn't that what cafemom is about- Mother's giving other Mother's advice. Advice is just opinions NOT facts.
my2kids0506
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM

yes very important to me my parents never ever put me in anything and I want to make sure my kids have all the opportunities that I never have. My DD did dance at 3 after that ended she is doing dance right now she has her first recitle next weekend I am SOOO Excited we are sighing her up for swimming lessons and she will do soccor in the fall. My son turns 3 in october and he will be signed up for rag ball when he does.

lvnmylif
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Dh and I both feel that the kids participating in a wide variety of extracurricular activities is a must.  We will be putting our children in sports they will all learn an instrument of their choice and we will insist the either participate in theater or some sort of after school club such as chess or a science group.  How are kids supposed to figure out what they are good at and what they have a passion for if they never try anything.  You can't just make your kids go to school come home never participate in anything and expect that they are going to magically figure out what they want to do in life.

meriana
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I feel if a child is interested in something, let them try within reasonable limits. They don't really know if they like a sport or activity until they try it.  Our kids are both in martial arts, our son is also in band and plays baseball sometimes. Our daughter is playing softball this year. Yes, martial arts can be expensive but its worth it....they've gone to a lot of tournaments. The only thing I will not let our daughter do is join the Dance Studio in our area.  Maybe when she's older, like 14 - 15.  The reason is that I've seen the performances and I just really have a problem with girls 10 and under in skin-tight costumes doing REALLY suggestive dance moves.  There was a picture in the local paper of a couple little girls (probably 9 and 10 yrs old at the most)...in costume after a public performance and to be perfectly honest they looked like a couple of hookers. I've had moms say "well its just for show", etc and one mom told me "well she's not allowed to dance like that in front of family or her friends...etc...".....Oh great...but she can do it front of a room full of strangers....doesn't make sense to me at all.  I fail to see why they can't teach them to dance and have fun in a manner appropriate for their age.

Anyway, didn't mean for this to turn into a kind of rant......I believe activities are great as long as its something the child enjoys and wants to take part in.....(with the exception of the dance studio in our town)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)