Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help with my 7yr old

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a question...we got Ethan and Breanna a slip n slide for being promoted to the next grade and Ethan was like cool you couldn't have gotten the shark one? Not a Thank you or anything. How the heck do I explain appreciation and being thankful to him. I've tried before and it's like he doesn't get it. We have had problems like this before. Any advice?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lovinglifeKX
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I have a 7 yr old with the same additude!  It's annoying but all I tell him is if he doesn't like what he's got I will be more than happy to either take it back or he can sit out while his brother uses it.  It works...kinda.  LOL 

smileolot
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM

He is a boy! He is probably outside slip n sliding outside! Before you show him the prize give a speech about Thanks! Then let him open the prize. Eventually he will want to Thankful so you don't give him the speech first! You have to fight fire with fire.. If he still does not show grace.. Well you mamma will get to save money.. Because just when you get the urge to get hime a 34.99 beach surfing board you say to your son... Oh I saw something you might like but won't be buying you anything till you learn to be Thankful.

Hugs

grammarpolice
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Bring it back to the storeand tell him why you're doing it. Maybe next time he'll remember before he opens his mouth to speak. And, a little off topic, but I disagree with buying them a gift for being promoted to the next grade. First, don't you fully EXPECT they will be promoted? It's not like they've gone above & beyond & did such a wonderful thing that deserves accolades and gifts. I had a boss once that was very wealthy, and he was complaining about his 16 year old daughter's classmates that were all getting brand new cars (BMW's, Audi's, etc) for their 16th birthdays. "What the heck did they DO?!", he used to say, "All they did was go to sleep a fifteen year old and wake up the next morning - why a CAR?!" I agree and think this is along the same line of thinking.

chrissi0103
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. He is in bed while his sisters will be using it. Glad to know he isn't the only one that does this. Hopefully he will learn how this works!

As for buying the gift for them being promoted it was something that we didn't think was going to happen for Ethan and we didn't want to leave Breanna out. This will not be a recurring yearly thing. He just struggled so hard and worked really hard to to pass to the 2nd grade and we thought that deserved some kind of recognition. I will not be one of those parents buying my kids a car either! My parents bought my younger brother and sister a car but not me! Not fair, but I do think our kids should earn their own money to buy a car themselves. They will take better care of it!

ashstar1
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:04 PM

we have four kids..this is what we do if one of our kids would have said that then i would have said well go in the house and sit down on the couch. after i got it all set up for the others then i would have went in and said you can not play with the slip n slide today. then i would have said because you were not happy with it. so because you are not happy with it you will not play on it. the next day when they want to do it again i would ask him now is that one that does not have a shark on it gonna be good enough to play on? when he says yes then i would let him go and tell him see you should be grateful for the slip n slide and not whined about no shark on it! it may take a few times of this with different things but i am telling ya it really works!

chrissi0103
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Quoting ashstar1:

we have four kids..this is what we do if one of our kids would have said that then i would have said well go in the house and sit down on the couch. after i got it all set up for the others then i would have went in and said you can not play with the slip n slide today. then i would have said because you were not happy with it. so because you are not happy with it you will not play on it. the next day when they want to do it again i would ask him now is that one that does not have a shark on it gonna be good enough to play on? when he says yes then i would let him go and tell him see you should be grateful for the slip n slide and not whined about no shark on it! it may take a few times of this with different things but i am telling ya it really works!

Thanks! That's great. Sometimes I have a really hard time finding words! lol I was never like this that I can remember. Parents never told me stories either. I've always been grateful for everything I have gotten. Thanks again!

ashstar1
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:12 PM

oh and hey i think it is great to reward your kids for getting good grades it make them feel good! i do it! little stuff like that keeps their heads up! its kind alike doing great at work you would want to get a raise!

chrissi0103
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Yeah and it only cost $20 and we live in ga so this is gonna be great for summer b/c we don't have the money to get a big pool.

Quoting ashstar1:

oh and hey i think it is great to reward your kids for getting good grades it make them feel good! i do it! little stuff like that keeps their heads up! its kind alike doing great at work you would want to get a raise!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)