Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crying baby in filthy apartment leads to woman's arrest (with REPORT) (From my local paper)

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:57 PM
  • 56 Replies

Crying baby in filthy apartment leads to woman's arrest (with REPORT)

Link to arrest report: http://video.onset.freedom.com/nwfdn/kk23f8-23abuse.pdf

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/woman-17605-old-crying.html?orderby=TimeStampDescending&showRecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=1#slComments

Comments 549 | Recommend 26

May 22, 2009 - 11:15 AM
Daily News

FORT WALTON BEACH -- A 20-year-old woman was arrested and charged with child abuse Thursday, the day after deputies found a 7-month old baby alone and crying in her filthy apartment.

The baby girl was strapped in a car seat, wearing a diaper overflowing with urine and fecal matter, according to an Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office offense report.

The neighbor who called police said she had seen Jennifer D'Silva leave her Beverly Street apartment at about 5:30 Tuesday evening and had not seen her return.

The woman said she went outside her apartment at about 7:30 Wednesday morning and heard the baby crying. She said she knocked, but when no one answered she called for help.

The deputy was also unable to get anyone to answer. When the property manager unlocked the apartment, the deputies could smell "a strong odor of fecal matter and decay," according to the report.

Inside, he saw the baby lying strapped in a car seat with no top on, partially covered with a bed sheet that appeared to be blood-stained. The car seat was on the floor in front of the TV and surrounded by dirty diapers, trash, empty rash ointment bottles and dirty wipes.

The rest of the apartment was in a similar state of disarray.

The deputy who changed the baby's diaper noticed that she had a rash and blisters in her vaginal area, some of which were open.

The baby was taken to the Children's Advocacy Center for a medical examination, where doctors said the baby's head was misshapen and she has a weak muscular structure, possibly from being restrained in a car seat for extended periods of time.

The baby also had a rash, blisters and a yeast infection caused by urine burns and fecal matter, the report said.

Investigators accessed D'Silva's Myspace page and found numerous photos of her hanging out at what appear to be clubs and parties, despite the fact that she is underage.

Some of the dates and comments coincided with times that the neighbor told police she had heard the baby crying, but did not see D'Silva's car parked outside.

The neighbor said she had started to watch D'Silva after noticing that the woman left frequently but never took the baby with her.

Police recognized D'Silva's "partner" from her Myspace page and found the woman's address. They arrested D'Silva there Thursday.

She told them she would not talk with them until she had talked to her lawyer. She was fingerprinted and her Myspace documentation was entered into evidence, the report said.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimige
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Jennifer's BFF is going on the newspaper website trying to defend herself and Jennifer... Its sad. I hope baby Eden gets a fresh start and has not lasting effects from this...

two4one
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM

God, please, lock me in a room with this woman. Just for a few minutes.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

MommySayz
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM

omg that reminds meh of that other baby who was left in a snow suit in a hot ass room for days strapped into his car seat....

i'm SO glad someone got this baby help before it was too late...

omg....

reelo

Grrrr.  That poor baby, she deserves a mom and not an abusive idiot.

lizzf1

OMG!  That poor little girl!  That kind of thing makes me so angry!

Brandie_xo

That made me sick to my stomach to read. that poor baby girl.  I hope that woman goes to jail and gets her ass beat

toddler girlKailyn- January 15th 2008storkBaby GIRL#2 Due Oct. 19

pregnancy

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM

You and me both so we can knock some damn sense into that crazy bitch!  Gosh people disgust me!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting two4one:

God, please, lock me in a room with this woman. Just for a few minutes.

usmclife58
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM

:' (

myspace commentsPhotobucket

myspace commentsPhotobucket

katzero
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Ugh. Sickening.

Pregnancy Ticker

I am a Christian, married, mommy-to be. I am a FUTURE delayed vaxing, spanking when necessary, breastfeeding, rear-facing, non-co-sleeping, disposable diapering, going to college full-time kind of mom.

ShakleeMama87
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM

My God. I cried reading this. I am so thankful they found her and I pray she will be taken in by a loving family and grow up healthy and normal with no lasting effects of memory of her first months of life. Oh, and I hope they throw the "mother"'s ass in jail!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)