Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I found a tick in my hair....now what??

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

My head had been feeling.....weird, the scalp. Last night, I pulled what I thought was a scab out of my hair. (yeah, their have been alot of scabs and stuff in my hair...eeeww!!) Hubby said it seemed like that was what is was. Well, this morning after my shower, I felt another "scab" so I pulled it out too. Well, I looked into my hair and sure enough it was a disgusting gross TICK!

I was reading up on it and it said that you have to be careful when you pull them off of you. I thought it was a scab so I wasn't careful.....is there something I should be worried about?

BTW, I checked my kids' hair and thankfully, no ticks!! We were at the zoo a couple days ago so I had to be certain.. (shudders)...I REALLY hate bugs!!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KYChica
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Just be sure to check every part of your body (& your childrens) not just your head. They can be anywhere. This is really gross but my mother in law had a family of ticks (Big one and several baby ones) living behind her ear when she was little. Thankfully her mother found them , but they had been there for a while! EW. I've heard you have to make sure you get the head of the tick out as well (cause they bury their heads under the skin) I'm not sure what will happen if it stays there. Maybe have hubby check to make sure you got it all out.

proud-to-be-his-wife-since04.png

moorhead2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM

if the head is still in your scalp then you should have doc look at it cause that isnt good. But if there is the body still on the tick there are several ways you can remove it. A hot needle will get it to back up, alcohol too would help, you can google it and there are several other ways you can get it out. hope that helps :P

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
imamombygrace
by on May. 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Ahh..I feel ya.  I had two huge ones once on the top of my head when I was little.  My Dad just happened to rub the top of my head as he normally did aggravating me..he felt a lump and called my mom to investigate.  She found two on mine.  Back then we did not know about lime disease and such.  I would put them in a Ziploc baggie and maybe take them to your local doctor.  Just to be on the safe side.  I know it's deer ticks that carry the disease..I am not sure what they look like though.  Mine were the huge green kind that fell out of our pecan trees!

Sorry to hear that Mama!  Very scary.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on May. 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

medical questions

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)