• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you switch him laptops?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

my friend wants to trade me laptops.. he just bought his this year but has reformatted it life a zillion times and randomly downloads things (programs). Im kinda scared it may blow up soon because of how many times he has reformatted it.. have no idea if it could do that but i dont think a laptop is made to be reformatted like one a week....

my laptop is about 4-5 years old. its getting pretty slow and even tho it has a wireless internet chip in it, i have to use an antenna to pick up the internet .But its been reliable for the whole time ive had it....

he is getting ready to buy a new one next month because he wants an upgraded on.. he wants to trade me laptops... the one he has now, for mine.. he wants his sister to have a laptop and so he would give her mine after he re formats it..

would you do it? Im just scared that after we trade, his will stop working lol.. opinions please?

i know im kinda silly about not jumping all over this deal... but does anyone know if reformatting a laptop so much will mess it up?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kayla4507
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:06 PM

no one?

SkysMom3808
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I wouldn't do it!!! Unless he buys a new hard drive, if he doesn't know what he's doing when he's reformatting his hard drive all that stuff he's trying to hide is still there!!  You shouldn't have to reformat the hard drive that much!!

kayla4507
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM

well hes does do the reformatting right..  he only does it cuz hes a little paranoid. lol.. but will it hurt the comp being reformatted so much?

Quoting SkysMom3808:

I wouldn't do it!!! Unless he buys a new hard drive, if he doesn't know what he's doing when he's reformatting his hard drive all that stuff he's trying to hide is still there!!  You shouldn't have to reformat the hard drive that much!!

single_and_preg
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I wouldnt do it...I dont understand what his point in trading would be, why dont he just give the one he has now to his sister

reelo

It really does depend on how its done and what programs he's downloaded.  There is a chance that it could damage the hard drive- but there is also a chance your hard drive could crash as well.  You might be able to find a cheap computer tech who could check the machine out for you.

SkysMom3808

I am not sure and my DH is in bed. If you don't have an answer by the time he wakes up I will ask him. BTW he is the lead computer tech. where he works lol

kayla4507
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Quoting single_and_preg:

I wouldnt do it...I dont understand what his point in trading would be, why dont he just give the one he has now to his sister

because he likes me a lot and thinks that by switching me computers, it will help his chances of me liking him (which it wont and ive already informed him of this) lol

bnj03
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM

DF said that as long as he reformats it again so you have a fresh start and if it is a newer laptop it should be fine. He also said because it is newer it hasnt put that much strain on the hard drive. He's my resident computer nerd lol so I ask him everything.

kayla4507
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:20 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)