Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

watching my nephew and he fell down the stairs

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

So i had my nephew and neice for the weekend  he is 2 and she is 7 months..  well this afternoon when she woke up from her nap my nephew and i went to get her from up stairs..  he can go up and down the stairs very well...  any ways, my sister usually walks behind him on the way up and in front on the way down..  well was carrying the baby and walkiing in front of him on the way down....  there was a toy on the stairs and he decided to reach and get it. the second he bent to get it he went falling down the stairs, i couldnt reach him in time and he hit his head at the bottom on the hard floor...  so i had to put the baby down and hold him....  i called her and told her and said i was gonna take him to the hospital because he just kept telling me that he wanted to go to bed and was pretty much falling asleep every few seconds in my lap and i was waking him up over and over.....  she didnt want me to take him right then unless completely nessesary... so i didnt, after an hour he started acting normal.,....  and he is fine now but i feel horrible..  they got home about 2 hours after it happened and he was in a great mood but i feel like they are mad at me, she said they arent but i cant help but relplay the whole thing and blame myself although i know there was nothing i could do..

anyone else ever been in this situation...  any advice

by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillitigator88
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM

i'm sorry

Mrussell0016
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Quoting lillitigator88:

i'm sorry

THANKS

ShadowLark
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Poor thing!  I would have TOTALLY freaked.  Why didn't she want you to take him to the Hospital?  That totally sounds like a concussion!

Hugs, mama!

Kaybean
by Kayleen on May. 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM

As long as you explained the whole situation and told her about it right away, she should understand. It was a complete accident and accidents happen.

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

Steph1499
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Dont feel bad.  Sometimes you cant stop that from happening.  My son fell down the stairs once too.  I felt so bad but he was fine.   Just keep you r eye on him and next time  maybe hold his hand. 

RmeWifey01
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Accidents happen hun. I feel like that every day when my 4 y/o tries desperately to talk to me but cannot (clearly anyway) b/c he had a head injury at around 18 m/o. His dx is dyspraxia which means basically he has some sort of disconnect between his brain and his tongue so he cannot get his words to come out the way he means them to. It was a totally preventable accident too. I could have brought him upstairs and locked him in the apt. and then gone down to get all the groceries, but I didn't. He wanted to go up by himself so I loaded myself w/the groceries and let him climb on his own within my sight of course, but b/c I went back to get him, he threw a tantrum and hit his head on the marble stair. So I have a reminder every single day that I fu*ked my ds's life up!!! There was no way of me knowing he would wig-out like that and get hurt, yet if I had carried him, he would be fine today!

kriss1023
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Its horrible but things like this happen. when i was 18 i was babysitting a 2 year old. His Family and mine are really good friends. anyway....My mom called and asked if i would go get my little bro from parctice. She told me to have my sister (17) watch Jered. So i go get brother.  Anyway my sister had him up stairs with her. She was on the phone and he was sitting on the bed with her she was right next to him but wasnt 100 focused on him. well he launched forworded to the screen and FELL OUT THE WINDOW. He landed in a mud puddle. He is 13 (almost) and doesnt remember it. But my sister does and to this day she feels badly. Yes she should have been paying attetion and shouldnt have let him sit there so close to the window. So it can be bad but it can always be worse.

eaglemama2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM

My daughter went head first down the stairs when she was 3 - her entire front tooth, root and all came flying out.   We took her to the dentist and the dr said unless you want the tooth for cosmetic reasons, there will be no tooth till she turns about 7.    It is scary but I do think that if a child falls / tumbles that way they should be seen, you never know with head injuries.

Quoting Steph1499:

Dont feel bad.  Sometimes you cant stop that from happening.  My son fell down the stairs once too.  I felt so bad but he was fine.   Just keep you r eye on him and next time  maybe hold his hand. 

Mrussell0016
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

Accidents happen hun. I feel like that every day when my 4 y/o tries desperately to talk to me but cannot (clearly anyway) b/c he had a head injury at around 18 m/o. His dx is dyspraxia which means basically he has some sort of disconnect between his brain and his tongue so he cannot get his words to come out the way he means them to. It was a totally preventable accident too. I could have brought him upstairs and locked him in the apt. and then gone down to get all the groceries, but I didn't. He wanted to go up by himself so I loaded myself w/the groceries and let him climb on his own within my sight of course, but b/c I went back to get him, he threw a tantrum and hit his head on the marble stair. So I have a reminder every single day that I fu*ked my ds's life up!!! There was no way of me knowing he would wig-out like that and get hurt, yet if I had carried him, he would be fine today!

I am so sorry to hear that, it makes me scared being a mom becuase of all the things that could happen...  I cannot imagine if it had been worse with him, its tough when its your own child but for something bad to happen while watching someone elses... ah i just cannot stand the thought

Mrussell0016
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Quoting kriss1023:

Its horrible but things like this happen. when i was 18 i was babysitting a 2 year old. His Family and mine are really good friends. anyway....My mom called and asked if i would go get my little bro from parctice. She told me to have my sister (17) watch Jered. So i go get brother.  Anyway my sister had him up stairs with her. She was on the phone and he was sitting on the bed with her she was right next to him but wasnt 100 focused on him. well he launched forworded to the screen and FELL OUT THE WINDOW. He landed in a mud puddle. He is 13 (almost) and doesnt remember it. But my sister does and to this day she feels badly. Yes she should have been paying attetion and shouldnt have let him sit there so close to the window. So it can be bad but it can always be worse.

That is  a scary thought..  im glad he was okay... your right it could have been worse and i thank God it wasnt

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)