Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How embarrasing! Help please

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM
  • 15 Replies

We went to the boardwalk today with some of my family. Emily was so excited to go on rides, but she is VERY impatient. When we were in line she started screaming and flipping out because she wanted to go on right then. I tried to calmly explain that we had to wait our turn, but she wasn't having it. She started kicking and shaking the fence, and then she got mad and bit my face and started pinching me! I was so embarrassed. We left the line and I put her in the stroller till she calmed down. She is usually pretty good. Does any one have any suggestions for how I can get this to stop? I want to be able to go places and have fun with her but not if she acts like that.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:01 PM

How old is she? I hope you did not let her go on any more rides after that. That would be sending a bad message.

leejoy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM

IMO you did the right thing.....taking her out of line and putting her in the stroller is what I would do every single time she threw a fit. Eventually she will get that if she wants to ride shes going to have to wait and if she can't patiently wait in line then she can sit in her stroller and not go at all.  Talking with her before hand about waiting patiently and not getting to go if she can't will help too.......just something they gotta learn.

priceisright07
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Thanks. She is 2 and a half. 

poofie
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I think you did the right thing. I know it can be disappointing to you when you just want to have fun but your child needs to learn as all children do. I am sorry she bit you, OUCH!! It can be hard to do things with younger children, but I would just try to schedule around naps or down time so when you do go out they are not grouchy. Good Luck!

3armycuties
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I have to agree! Good luck next time.

Quoting leejoy:

IMO you did the right thing.....taking her out of line and putting her in the stroller is what I would do every single time she threw a fit. Eventually she will get that if she wants to ride shes going to have to wait and if she can't patiently wait in line then she can sit in her stroller and not go at all.  Talking with her before hand about waiting patiently and not getting to go if she can't will help too.......just something they gotta learn.

Tracyrae
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:05 PM

calm, stern, consistant.     Tell her why she needs to wait, tell her if she doesnt stop you'll leave, then LEAVE.    Which is just what you did....   Once or twice is all it'll take.  

ps when youre just sitting watching others go on the ride, talk in a conversation way about what the other people would think if you went first, or how she would feel if someone went in front of her....     I've found trying to get them to be able to make that connection of how THEY would feel if   ...   helps a lot.  Its hard for them to learn to 'put themselves in someone elses shoes'.  Takes practice that even some adults need...

PrOuD_fL_MoMmY
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:06 PM

WHEN IS HER B-DAY? JUST WONDERING CUS MY SON IS 2 AND A HALF

Quoting priceisright07:

MinniesMami
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I would suggest disciplining her at home- and letting her know that when she behaves that way it is not acceptable. That way when you go out she already knows that her behavior will not be tolerated and it won't get her anything.

<----We are Hiring!! Apply Now!

Tracyrae
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM

ps.  nip the biting thing in bud  (ha, no pun intended!)  There are certain things that are past that 'line' of  'no no honey'.  In my house that was always one of them.  Biting can really do some damage!

priceisright07
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Her birthday is January 14th. Shes almost two and a half.

Quoting PrOuD_fL_MoMmY:

WHEN IS HER B-DAY? JUST WONDERING CUS MY SON IS 2 AND A HALF

Quoting priceisright07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)