• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you have done? Discipline opinion...

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM
  • 31 Replies

A part of me thinks it is harsh but... This is what happened.

At supper time instead of eating my 7yr old was taking her food and throwing it on the floor when no one was looking.  She was the last to finish eating..I caught her, I just happened to look up.  Well I made her get on her hands and knees and pick up, by hand, every grain of rice and beans and throw it away.  Then I made her eat what was left on her plate while I watched..  Then I sent her to her room for the rest of the evening with no tv or "electronic" entertainment.  We are letting her read books and thats all.

This isn't the first time she has done this..Usually I put her in the corner... What would you have done?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I think you did the right thing,mama!

in loveMe and Nate 6.12.99blowing bubblesGrace 10.10.03

retsillacam
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM

probably the same thing you did.

leejoy

Im sure plenty of moms will disagree with me but personally, my dd is 7 as well and if she was throwin her food on the floor she would have picked it up and gone to bed.    In our house if you can't sit at the table and eat appropriatly then you apparently don't really want to eat.

aimige

thanks, a part of me feels bad for grounding her to her room but I know I have to follow through or she won't learn her lesson.

hlrc2004
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM

sounds good to me.

Mom to Ashley, Ally and Garrett.

MadisonsMom0806
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I def think you did the right thing.

eaglemama2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM

agreed.   My kids have never done that but when I was a kid, I used to hide what I did not want to eat underneath the garnish - LOL   I know it's not funny, but it does happen.

Quoting mamaslilpunkin:

1sttimemommy198
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I would have done the same thing you did. At least she isn't like my cousin. He used to live with us and if he didn't want to eat, he would stuff his mouth and everything until he threw up. It was so gross because he would be sitting at the table with us...he was about 18months when that started happening, he quit really quick when he realized that if he did that the only thing he got before bed was his bottle... 

joshlor2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Not harsh at all...she is 7 not 2 so she knows better...I thought I was being harsh for making my son do his own laundry..( he will not empty his pockets of crap and I got clay in my dryer and all over a load of clothes) but you know what he is beginning just now after a month of having to stop what he is playing with to do his laundry to understand that he needs to check the pockets...and I told him as soon as his load goes a month with out having other objects in it...then I will begin to do his clothes

Sometimes you have to be creative with the punishment for them to understand

skisbufly1
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Quoting mamaslilpunkin:

I love Twilight!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)