• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on neighbors pitbull!!! I don't know what to do!

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay..I"ll try to keep this short.  A few weeks ago my neighbors pit bull chased a stray cat (that we've kinda adopted) up our stairs and I freaked...I slammed the door and screamed..my poor Dad, I think I blew his ear drum out on the phone!  It was growling and huffing away, so with any kind of dog I would have reacted like that...

Well tonight, I had my LO's (almost 5 year old special needs girl and 17 month old healthy boy), outside in the yard and they were just walking around playing..Anyway, one of the neighbors pitbulls came charging at us and I grabbed both my kids, screamed at my hubby to grab our landlords little 10 lb. dog and luckily the dog didn't come any closer..(about 5 feet away)  My poor kids don't know well enough to hide and our landlords dog is 13 and blind...

Anway, this is the second time something has happened in the year we've lived here...should I say something to her about putting that one dog in a fence?  The other 3 are as sweet as sugar and they never bother us.  I don't know what to do...It makes it a little harder because my Hubby's niece is the neighbors niece as well..it's her father's sister.  Any advice?  I'm scared for my kids but I'm a total passive person!  Well, untill it comes to my kids.  I need to find a way to confront them without being the totally bitch mama bear protecting her cubs..LOL

by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiquidAmethyst
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:43 PM

ummm you need to just tell them, or call animal control that's really fucked up. 

"you'e stupid pitbull is aggressive put him on a freakin leash or in a fence or i'm gonna call the cops and animal control" there ya go

bklaser
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I would say just walk over there and ask to talk to them about the dog. Just explain that he has charged at you growling twice and you prefer him to be on a leash when out for the saftey of your children. If they donot get the hint, then call animal control. I have a two year old german shepard who thinks she is the boss of the neighbor hood and growls at any dog/cat.I keep her on a leash at ALL times. And she is not allowed outside without me for her terratorial problems. Just tell them. My neighbor leaves her dog outside all night and he howls constantly. Ive already warned my husand that when our baby comes if that dog doesnt shut up, I am going to be at her front door.

Heartlight617
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM
You must just call animal control and let them deal with it. There is no way any dog, especially that dog should have unrestricted access to your yard,other pets or your children. The owners should be reminded of this. The safety of your family comes before any dog's right to roam.
Carol
Patriotsgrl84
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I want everybody to know that I totally have nothing against pitbulls..they have 4 and the others are really sweet..you could do anything to them and they would just look at you and wag thier tails..but I do feel some just have it in them to be aggressive

ctfirsttimemom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM

I love dogs, but they need to be taken care of!! I have a mutt which several people think is a pitt mix  ( I dont care what he is, he is so sweet)  but I would never let him out not in a fence or on a leash.  That is 100% irresponsible.  Aren't there leash laws in your town?   I'd probably try to talk to the neighbor first, but if the problem wasnt immediately fixed call animal control. 

Patriotsgrl84
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I live in a little tiny town that's smaller than a football field just about...I think I'll call the town hall Tues. and ask them about what to do

Quoting ctfirsttimemom:

I love dogs, but they need to be taken care of!! I have a mutt which several people think is a pitt mix  ( I dont care what he is, he is so sweet)  but I would never let him out not in a fence or on a leash.  That is 100% irresponsible.  Aren't there leash laws in your town?   I'd probably try to talk to the neighbor first, but if the problem wasnt immediately fixed call animal control. 

mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Around here, dogs have to be fenced or leashed...it's the law.  So, you may want to check into that first and then see what the best way to approach it is.  What kind of relationship do you have with the neighbors?  Do you feel like you could talk to them about the dog?  If not, call animal control.

discokittten
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Don't worry. It probably has nothing to do with the breed (well, maybe a bit) It's just an AGGRESSIVE dog, in general. I would definitely tell your neighbor and if she doesn't to something, then it's time to call animal control. Animals are wonderful, but they animals and your kids are human beings and it's your responsibility to protect them. I have faith in your Mama!

dastle
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Ignoring the fact that it's a pitbull,  Yes I think you need to have a talk with her about keeping her dog in her yard,  if she won't fix the problem call animal control or the cops they will make her or she will lose that pup.   In my area it seems like 1/2 the dog owners just let their dogs out to run at large and it's so annoying,  none of them are agressive, but it still gets my dogs going and you never know what can happen, let alone I don;t want to be out with my kids and see a dog get hit by a car.  She needs to keep that dog in her own yard for her safety (against the courts), the communities safety, and her dogs safety.

Patriotsgrl84
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I do feel bad because I"m not one to piss people off, but when it comes to my kids safety, I will snap!  Does anybody have any advice on exactly what to say?  Like maybe:

"Hey, I don't want to cause any problems, we don't want any hard feelings, but this is the second time we've had a scare with your dog. Is there anyway you can either keep him on a leash or in a penned in area?  It's not only for our children but for your dog as well because if he bites one of our children, we won't have any other choice but to go to the authorities and we don't want to see one of your animals put down."

something like that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)