• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

yes i am STILL worried

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

o.k.  so i don't know how many people out there are but i am still really worried about the whole swine flu thing.  i have a 4 year old and an 8 month old and am pregnant with my 3rd daughter.  i am so worried that we will get sick and i won't be able to take care of them properly.  i am especially worried about my 8 month old.  are other moms going through this and if so how are you coping with day to day activities.  the nice weather is here and i want to go out and do things with my kids without going into a nervous fit if somone coughs or sneezes.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv2wahm
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM

seriously, I haven't really thought about it. I haven't done anything I don't normally do, I wash my hands frequently, use hand sanitizer throughout the day(I work at a toy store), and I have my kids do the same...my 5 year old has a cough right now,  but I haven't even considered swine flu at all.

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on May. 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I haven't really thought about it in awhile. 

krista778
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I haven't thought about it in weeks. I haven't changed anything I normally do since I refuse to live in fear of something that might happen. If I did that I wouldn't go anywhere or do anything just become a hermit. And that's not cool with me:-)

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I don't know why everyone is so panicky...ebola panic swine ful eh...its just like the reg flu...as long as you get it treated if your symptoms are severe you'll be fine. Wash your hands  frequently and you'll be fine.

elleinad
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM

If you're terrified, mainstream media did its job.

"...Only the doing of justice is a good enough excuse to be born."

PrOuD_fL_MoMmY
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM

WELL AT FIRST I WAS SO WORRIED THAT I WAS PANICING..BUT AFTER A LONG TALK WITH MY KIDS PED..I FELT BETTER!! SHE TOLD ME THAT ITS NOT AS BAD AS IT WAS FIRST THOUGHT TO BE AND THAT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE DYING FROM SWINE FLU USUALLY HAVE OTHER ILLNESSES..AND THE REASON SO MANY DIED IN MEXICO WAS THE LACK OF RESOURCES TO TREAT THE VIRUS! ANYWHO..SHE SAID THAT SHE IS NO MORE WORRIED ABOUT THIS VIRUS THAN SHE IS THE REG FLU. SO I CALMED DOWN A BIT!  AND THE SYMPTOMS FOR SWINE FLU ARE SEVERE FLU LIKE..SO I MEAN UD OBVIOUSLY GO TO DOC RIGHT AWAY IF NOTICING THEM!!...BUT I KNOW EXAC. HOW U FEEL MOMMA!

Tiffany1621
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:48 PM

There are a lot of people that are seriously freaked out by this....

but seriously...36,000 people die a year from the regular flu...only 6 have died from the swine flu.  The media tend to blow things out of proportion to get people to watch...but all it does is freak people out

just wash your hands a lot and you'll be fine.....just the same as keeping you safe from a common cold or w/e.

lakajungurl
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:50 PM

i wasnt really worried about it either until the schools my kids go to were shut down because a student had the swine flu .they were out of school for 10 days .the schools and health department did a great job on cleaning and sterlizing everything so far noone else has gotten sick and the litle girl that had the flu is just fine .my kids still go over to play and everything .i aint worried about now .i really wasnt to worried about then either .my kids knew not to cough on anybody and use hand santizer and dont shake hands and all that stuff the schools said to do .everybody was tripping at first cause we live in such a small town .there was rumors that we were quarintined*sp*and the national guard wasnt letting anybody in or out of the town .it was kinda funny !

shadylane85
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM

I now exactly how you feel. My son is 19 months old and we recently found out our friend's daughter tested postive. In fact, he got the test results from the hospital on the phone while he was at our house! My son had fever the next day, and I was freaked out about rushing him to the hospital because if he didn't have swine flu already I felt that I might be exposing him to it in the ER. Luckily our pediatritian had just gotten a handful of tests in. He got the swab done and (thankfully) tested negative.

Honestly, we thought we were doing everything to keep him safe from people who might be sick, but after last week I realized there is no way we can go on living our lives if I am constantly worried about it. I don't know where you live, but I'm in NY and we've been getting new cases pretty much every day in the city & Queens. Now, I take his temp every morning and every night before bed. I bring hand sanitizer everywhere, and I always carry a little travel bottle of lysol anywhere spray to spray on things he may touch. For the time being I bring his stroller to the supermarket rather than putting him in the shopping cart. Over all I just try to be more aware. We are taking him to the park tomorrow to ride his power wheels quad, and I know it will be packed. I plan on just doing my best. I am not bringing any small toys that he may feel inclined to share with others, and things like snacks and cups get zipped up in the diaper bag.

Just to ease your fears a bit, my pediatritian says that even if he were to get it, 99.9% of the time children, even very young ones, recover without any medical attention (not that you shouldn't go to the doctor though!). He says that the very serious cases  are almost always people who have other medical conditions that impare the body's ability to fight the virus.

shadylane85
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:05 PM

I should also probably add that we take some of the same precautions during the normal flu season as well (maybe not as much because we get the flu shot, but we are still careful). My son has a weaker immune system, when he gets sick it is always on the more severe end, especially with his respiratory system, so even the regular flu that's included in the yearly flu shot is a scary thought for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)