• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question ((to the ppl that have cats))

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

Alright.. I have a 1 yr old Calico cat and lately she has been biting her fur so bad that she is chewing BALD spots into her fur.. she is worrying me cause she has NEVER done that since we have had her so I dont know whats wrong.. She has NEVER been outside and she HAS a flea collar on.. Anyone have any advice as to why she may be doing this??? Thanks so much! =)

I'm a mother of.......... I don't sum my parenting skills up in a stupid small paragraph because it no ones business online!!! =)

by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dragonflykiss44
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

she could have a skin infection.  like mange or something.. I dont know if cats get mange but it could be something along those lines

also flea collars dont really work. they only keep the fleas away from the neck.

Sharon300
by Sharon on May. 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Sorry no clue. Here is a bump.

Tiffany1621
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

There is a forum for cat lovers! u should check it out, they might be able to help

but my cat..idk what kind he is.. had the same problem and we eventually took him to the vet..they did a skin scrape n he had some kind of fungus (not contagious)

but it could be mange or something

u should ask a vet.

:)

mom2four1978
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Fleas......You will have to wash her in flea shampoo. It is so funny that you posted this cause we just washed our cats about an hour ago. My adult cat wears a flea collar and when we washed him a couple of fleas still came off of him. He was doing the same thing as your cat. I think I'm going to try the flea drops on him cause the collar does not seem to be working.

I refuse to raise SHEEPLE. Instead, I prefer to raise INDEPENDANT, STRONG WILLED, BRAVE people.

mymaddiegrl2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM

could be a skin allergy my orange tabby has a spot on his belly that he chews on just during spring and summer time. The vet gave me a cortisone shot but it only last so long. I would say take your cat and have it looked at.

3greatkids751
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Quoting Tiffany1621:

There is a forum for cat lovers! u should check it out, they might be able to help

but my cat..idk what kind he is.. had the same problem and we eventually took him to the vet..they did a skin scrape n he had some kind of fungus (not contagious)

u should ask a vet.

Ok thnx I will take her to her vet and ask them about it.. I know we used to have a dog that had the mange when I was little and I remember my dad letting him loose or somthing like that cause he said it can spread to humans... so thats what has me worried right now.. im not entirely certin if thats true (the whole spreading to humans thing) but I dont wanna take any chances... lol.. She just kinda act's like she has fleas though cause she is itching w/ her paws like crazy then she is biteing herseld and everything else.. So I think after we rule out everything else im going to get her some frontline or something..

I'm a mother of.......... I don't sum my parenting skills up in a stupid small paragraph because it no ones business online!!! =)

chiamom123
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM
even if she has a flea collar on she could have an allergy to fleas our poor dog developed one and was bald on her back end every flea season all it took was one bite for her to go nuts and we put every type of flea medication on her we could think of it still didn't stop those occasional bites but you should talk to her vet it could be an infection too and either way they can probably give you something to help your kitty
dragonflykiss44
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Quoting 3greatkids751:

Quoting Tiffany1621:

u should ask a vet.

Ok thnx I will take her to her vet and ask them about it.. I know we used to have a dog that had the mange when I was little and I remember my dad letting him loose or somthing like that cause he said it can spread to humans... so thats what has me worried right now.. im not entirely certin if thats true (the whole spreading to humans thing) but I dont wanna take any chances... lol.. She just kinda act's like she has fleas though cause she is itching w/ her paws like crazy then she is biteing herseld and everything else.. So I think after we rule out everything else im going to get her some frontline or something..

there are 2 types of mange...1 doesnt spread to humans but another type can.

ZoeCY
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

One of our cats has allergies and gets the same way every summer (he is constantly chewing on himself).  He does go outside though.  We usually have to take him in May or June to get a steroid shot and that usually helps for the entire summer.  Oh he is also allergic to some of the flea medications.  I would take her to the vet when you can.  Hope this helps!

ZoeCY
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Oh another cat we used to have was extremely allergic to fleas so even if he just had one bite he would react like that as well.  But if she doesn't go outside and you don't have any other animals that do I am not sure how likely that would be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)