• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reusable shopping bags

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM
  • 24 Replies

I have been buying reuable shopping bags and use them when I go shopping, I have about 6 now, but it's still not enough for all my groceries when I go to stock up. 

For those of you who use them, how many do you have and is it enough?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-flynn
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I have 6 but I usually forget them at home. When i do bring them in the baggers try really hard to make everything fit into the bag. When we forget the bags I get home and there's quite a few plastic bags with only 1 or 2 items in them and that's just so wasteful. I do get plastic bags on purpose for my bathroom trashcans and dd's backpack in case she has an accident at school.

humblemama
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Are they too small? Maybe try buying a few large bags...I have about 5 that I take in with me, they seem to hold alot of stuff. I love them!

vegepunkstr
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I think I have 7 or 8 but I dont usually use them all. I tell the cashier to load them up too as much as possible

Photobucket
luv2wahm
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I have only found the small ones...where did you get bigger ones?

Quoting humblemama:

Are they too small? Maybe try buying a few large bags...I have about 5 that I take in with me, they seem to hold alot of stuff. I love them!

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Wow.  How many groceries you buy at a time?  I go shopping weekly.  I have 3 canvas shopping bags.  I use those and usually end up with only about 4-5 plastic bags.  If I had 1 or 2 more canvas bag I would probably be fine.  But I reuse the plastic bags.

junebug624
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM

When I went shopping downtown in Germany (you have to pay for plastic/paper bags), I would take 3 or 4 with me.  It worked really well for me.  Maybe try putting empty boxes in your car, and push the cart out to the car to put the items in... that's if you have a car, and a shopping cart though..

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college attending, loving my soldier, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

Ravensmom07
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:02 PM

We have 4 of the bigger ones from Walmart so far and they seem to hold quite a bit. However when we go to Save-a-lot, DH refuses to take them in with us because they say Walmart!

luv2wahm
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:02 PM

We grocery shop, only 2 times a month...and spend around $250-$300 each time....There are times I fill up the back of my Durango..lol

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Wow.  How many groceries you buy at a time?  I go shopping weekly.  I have 3 canvas shopping bags.  I use those and usually end up with only about 4-5 plastic bags.  If I had 1 or 2 more canvas bag I would probably be fine.  But I reuse the plastic bags.

mom22gr8boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:03 PM

i have bought three so far and have yet to take them into the store.i keep forgetting them.

humblemama
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Try online. My husband bought my online so I'm sure they have a website for the larger ones. Mine have a plastic insert for the bottom so they don't tip over in the car ride home :)

Quoting luv2wahm:

I have only found the small ones...where did you get bigger ones?

Quoting humblemama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)