Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 yr with 104 fever and vomiting update in red

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok I've called the DR and am waiting for a call back. We went hiking today with some friends and my DS and their DS both started complaining of stomach upset and a headache on the way back. We get back and their son goes to bed and doesn't move ( which for a 8 yr old boy with friends over is weird) and them My DS starts vomiting so we leave. We get home and his fever was 104. His friend is also running a fever. Any ideas?

Ok I wanted to let you all know that his fever is down to 101 and his vomitting has stopped.  I think it was a fast moving virus.   BTW you don't have to take a kid to the er with a high fever unless it doesn't come down.  I've learned that if you do you wait 5 hours for them to send you home.  By the time the DR called back he was better.  The motrin and bath did the trick.   Thanks for all the advice.   We live in Colorado and the high today was 65  so I don't think overheating was the problem. 

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

With a fever that high coupled with the vomiting I would definitely take him to the ER.

Good luck, mama, hope he's ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erika560
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Not sure what it could be for both of them to get sick at the same time.  Maybe they got bit by something.  Did you check him over for ticks or anything.  I would definitely take him to the doctors though better to be safe then sorry.  I hope everything works out and they start feeling better.

ILovetheOutdoor
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

idk i wish you luck. I hope the doc calls you back soon

lilysmommy23
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

please get off the internet and take your child to the ER.

mommy4ever07
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

With a fever that high I would be on my way to ER, 105 is the start of brain damage

reelo
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I'm assuming you've done the basic fever precautions and given motrin and the rest.  Push the liquids and a cool environment.

You mentioned hiking, is it possible they got too overheated?  It could cause the simultaneous illnesses but so could a lot of other things.  If the doc doesn't call back (I'd be calling back after about half an hour) of if he continues to get worse (or the motrin isn't knowcking the temp down) I'd bring my kiddo in

Patriotsgrl84
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

call 911 asap...like now!  My aunt was that age with a temp of 106 and now she is mentally retarded..I'm really not trying to scare you, but that's what happened to her.  She was completely healthy (this was back in the 50's) but still a fever like that can kill or atleast cause MAJOR issues

ashmac03
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Try a cool bath and Tylenol to bring down the fever.  Call the advice nurse and see what she says.  But if you can't bring the fever down soon I would go to the ER.

ShellyABean
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I would give him Tylenol ASAP - then would definately consider taking him to the ER - or at the very least call the ER and get a professionals opinion - high fevers are nothing to mess around with! 

Good luck!

LexMaxMommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

You shouldn't even have to ask. You have been a mom long enough to know you shouldn't be on here, you need to get him to the ER now. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)