• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a Magic Jack?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone use the magic jack for their home phone?  Telephone company keeps jacking my phone bill up and was wondering if the stuff they say is true or is there some hidden costs or is it a total scam.  Please answer if u have ANY info about it.  Thanks

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GADawgMom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Bump! I am also wondering if it works.

hotmomalert2.5
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I have it! what all do you want to know?

2 princeblinkies

Mommie2Two
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

My grandparents just returned theirs. 
They say its the worst purchase they have EVER made.
Calls drop 75% of the time.
Ppl can't hear you on the other line..
ect. ect.

Please feel free to contact me with
ANY comments, questions or concerns :)

GavsMommy726
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

i have it also. no scam, no hidden fee. works great for us.

Patriotsgrl84
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I have vonage now, which is cheap, but magic jack is cheaper..if you do have  it, give any and all details..including any calls dropped..when you live (city or country) I live in a small town that just barely got comcast high speed internet this year..will magic jack work for us?  

How does it work?  I almost think it's too good to be true!

mamma50
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

So its really only 19.95 a yr and no other costs are involved.  It doesn't mess up your computer or make it run slow?  Everyone, Thank you for responding

steph2884
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM

It works through your internet, so you need a good internet connection in order for it to work well. It will drop your calls, according to how much activity is on the internet. My husband works for the cable company, which also offers phone service. He is always getting trouble calls about the internet not working. When he goes over to look at it, the internet is working just fine... and the people start to complain about their magic jack or vonage not working properly. He obviously can't fix it, since that's not the cable company's service. If you are having problems with it, the internet service providers will not be able to fix it unless there is an actual problem with your internet. You will have to go through the company if you are having problems, and I have no idea how much of a hassle that would be. All I know is that if you have your service through a cable company (at least the company my husband works for) they are there same day to fix it, unless it's extremely late at night obviously. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

hotmomalert2.5
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM

ok, I got mine in jan of this yr from Radio Shack for 39.99, so with tax it was like 42 or something. That purchase alone buys you the magic jack and your first yr of service. you have to have the internet for it, I can't remember what speed, I don't think you can do it with dial up though, it has to be high speed or dsl but it can be a slower version. I pay like 25 ish a month for my internet through at&t. you plug it in to your computer in a usb port and plug your phone in the other end. There's no hidden fees or at least I haven't had any. We live in Ohio and my hubs calls cali and Oklahoma all the time to talk to his family. I admit every now and then it'll act up for like a day or two and then it's fine. If you ever have any probs though you can click on a button that says "fix it" and you upgrade and that usually fixes it. if not you can write back and forth with a representative to find a solution. so I'm good until next jan and then I'll purchase another yr I believe for $20 or they have a special for 5 yrs for $60.

2 princeblinkies

hotmomalert2.5
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I haven't had any other costs, just the one time when i purchased it. You have to register it with your address and everything. My computer doesn't seem to really run slow but if you have alot of things running you may experience some dropped calls....but it's such a good deal i don't mind, lol and it doesn't happen all the time. The only downside that I see is if the power goes out or something and the computer is turned off there goes your phone. So you may want to have a prepaid cell just in case of emergencies. other than that, I'm happy. They even have funny elevator type music that plays when you put someone on hold, lol my grandma always laughs cause if I get another call and switch over real quick to see who it is, and I come back, my grandma is like, "oh that was a nice song" lol

Quoting mamma50:

So its really only 19.95 a yr and no other costs are involved.  It doesn't mess up your computer or make it run slow?  Everyone, Thank you for responding

2 princeblinkies

mamma50
by on May. 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Thank you all so much.  I have High Speed Internet through comcast so I hope it will be fine.  I don't have alot on my computer running all the time so that shouldn't be a problem.  As far as another phone, I just got a cell phone from Alltel so I would be covered if the power was out.  Thanks so much, to Radio Shack I go!!!!  LOL  Thanks again!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)