• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you drove out of town alone with a newborn?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM
  • 19 Replies

How did you do it??? I want to go out of town but I have a newborn and I'm really really debating. It's about 5 hours I know I would probably have to stop constantly. I also have an almost 4 yr old son. If you drove out of town was it too hard? I want to go see my 81 yr old grandma I want her to meet my son and I have no one to go with me.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaM27
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

bump

LeslieSS
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I have drove 24 hours with a newborn before, I stopped of course. They will sleep most of the time, you'll have to stop and feed, change diapers. Maybe get out for a while so the baby can be up for a little bit. Its not really that hard :)

reelo
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM

I have, its not as bad as you think it is (really).  Just plan on making a few stops but babies tend to sleep well in the car seat ( well, most of them) and if you plan ahead to stop about every two hours to feed it will be OK.

ashmac03

What about if you drive in the evening when the kids would normally fall asleep.  You could put them in their jammies and feed the baby right before you leave.  Stop half way to change and feed the baby and you should be ok. 

junebug624

I was nursing every 3 hours when I did go on a 4.5 hr drive.  I timed it to where I nursed right before I left and right after I packed the car.  I only had to stop once to change his diaper and nurse him again.  Have fun, and make sure you have a full tank of gas before you go.  It's rough, but do able.

~June 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college attending, loving my soldier, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

LuvmySFSGT
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I did. If you are breastfeeding it will be super easy...you can feed the baby in the car at rest stops. If not they have car bottle warmers...

The other thing you should do is leave when your baby is getting ready to sleep...so try to figure out when baby sleeps most...and then go then.

Its stressful thinking about it..but really not that bad. I frequently go to Michigan which is about 8 hours away and I do it alone with DD and 2 dogs! It was really easy when she was a baby...now that she is 22 months its actually harder...

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on May. 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

I have done a four drive with our dd by myself, twice, and it wasn't too bad.  I just made sure I had snacks and stuff for her to eat and water and milk for her to drink.  I did have to stop to fill up her bottle but it wasn't too bad.  She also slept for part of the drive so that helped too. 

ErikaM27
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Quoting ashmac03:

What about if you drive in the evening when the kids would normally fall asleep.  You could put them in their jammies and feed the baby right before you leave.  Stop half way to change and feed the baby and you should be ok. 

My dh doesn't want me to go at night. I was thinking about going like maybe around 5-6 am that way I 'll be on the road by the time the sun comes up and they'll still be asleep.

elleinad
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM

If you are truly going with a newborn, you'll stop about 2x. Not bad at all. Easy peasy. It's when they are like 3 months that it's a pain in the butt.

Photobucket
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Why yes I have. When my dd was 5 days old I took her and went to my parents house about 3 hours away. Dh didn't go with me because he went to a HS reunion in another state. We did fine. She slept most of the way. I had to stop once and get her out to nurse her. We have made that trip about once a month since she was born. No biggie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)