Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do Christians believe in IVF,Clomid or other means?

Posted by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM
  • 49 Replies

I mean if a woman is barren shes just barren right? or if a man is sterile..

if it wasn't Gods intention for a man or woman to have a child do they live with that? accept it? is there a plan for them? or should they go to science and make a baby that shouldnt be here? wouldn't that be like cloning? or just flat out playing God

im genuinely curious

by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vantrice
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Just b/c a man or a woman can't produce children themselves doesn't mean that it wasn't God's plan for them to have children.... How would you know that it wasn't God's plan?  I know PLENTY of Christians that have chosen those routes.....  

abbynzachsmommy
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM
Your not going to find a uniform answer on this one among the Christian community.
For me personally, I dont think you need to go to extreme measures to conceive. There is a reason for everything, maybe that reason is so you'll adopt a child that deserves a chance at a happy life. I think each person has to make that decision for themselves but this is my PERSONAL stance on it.

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

jltplk
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Well for me, I dont think just b/c you have a hard time that you should just throw in the towel. There is always adoption although that can be expensive. I dont see how using drugs to help you is wrong either. I can't speak for the Bible thumpers, just myself. :0)

Misurromommy
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM
I am a surrogate and christian. There is nothing in the bible that forbids IVF. I will not do traditional surrogacy ( my egg, their sperm) just embryo transfer ( not genetically connected to me at all)
Teespot
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Quoting Vantrice:

Just b/c a man or a woman can't produce children themselves doesn't mean that it wasn't God's plan for them to have children.... How would you know that it wasn't God's plan?  I know PLENTY of Christians that have chosen those routes.....  

ohhh so ditto on that....

abbynzachsmommy
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM
Quoting jltplk:

Well for me, I dont think just b/c you have a hard time that you should just throw in the towel. There is always adoption although that can be expensive. I dont see how using drugs to help you is wrong either. I can't speak for the Bible thumpers, just myself. :0)

I just wanted to point this out (not bashing at all :-) ) Alot of times adoption is no less expensive then fertility treatments. People spends tens of thousands of dollars on fertility treatments, IVF, etc. Depending on where your adopting from and the circumstances of the adoption, it can be cheaper AND your guaranteed a child.

navy     Lovin my Sailor!!!

mitch576
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM

good question.

i am a catholic... and i really don't know if i can give a good answer but let me try.

my priest says...god gives us the knowledge...and the technology.

we are not damned for using the technology... but if you let it rule your life.. it is bad.

so... you can own the ipod... you can get the i.v.f....

don't let it be the sole focus or purpose of your life. don't let greed and "wants" and desires... rule your every action.

balance...

and yes, i think he has an ipod!~ lol

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Daemons_mommy
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I like that a lot! Your priest makes a lot of sense :)

Quoting mitch576:

good question.

i am a catholic... and i really don't know if i can give a good answer but let me try.

my priest says...god gives us the knowledge...and the technology.

we are not damned for using the technology... but if you let it rule your life.. it is bad.

so... you can own the ipod... you can get the i.v.f....

don't let it be the sole focus or purpose of your life. don't let greed and "wants" and desires... rule your every action.

balance...

and yes, i think he has an ipod!~ lol

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Uh oh!This is where I admit to being a hypocrit.I am a Christian naturalist and no we don't believe in it but my daughter is seeking it out but hey!she is not a CN............well............that is the excuse I use............

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
mitch576
by on May. 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM

i don't think that makes you a hypocrite. there are things i don't necessarily "support" as a catholic. { yes i know you aren't catholic}

but... priest, can't marry. to me that is asking someone to live an unnatural existence.

and... as we saw in boston and around the world...that leads to big trouble.

i get how in my religion it is about "sacrifice" but... i don't think it  says our priest have to be celibate in the bible... i have looked...and can't seem to find that passage. i could be wrong though.

my point is... i think you can support your daughter, without being a hypocrite. you aren't the one undergoing anything....and i know god wants you to love and support your daughter.

so...there is an extra loop hole for you! lol

Quoting laranadtony:

Uh oh!This is where I admit to being a hypocrit.I am a Christian naturalist and no we don't believe in it but my daughter is seeking it out but hey!she is not a CN............well............that is the excuse I use............

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN