Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My walking, talking 10 month old

Posted by on May. 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM
  • 34 Replies

Yes, believe it or not.  My daughter is 10 months old and she is already walking and talking.  Her Dr. doesn't believe us.  When we told him that she was walking, he says "That's highly unlikely at this age."  Oh yeah?  Maybe it's highly UNUSUAL...but she is doing it.  And when we told him that she was talking, saying "Mama, Dada, ice cream, kitty and uh oh."  He says, "She probably isn't meaning to say those things.  They are just the mumblings of a baby."  WHAT!?  She says them daily!  How could those be mumblings.  She even uses "uh oh" in the right situation.  She knows who Mama and Dada are.  And she is always chasing the kitty, saying "kitty kitty."  Sure, she doesn't have the pronounciation down 100%, but she is understandle.  ARGH! Why do Dr's always assume that since all other babies aren't doing that at this age, that it's "highly unlikely" that my daughter is doing them. 

She has an older brother, whom she learned to walk from.  And Mommy and Daddy work hard on words with her. Dumb Dr.

in love          toddler boy           baby girl            ttc

Married (6-9-07)             Bryan (10-6-04)              Emma (07-25-08)             Trying for # 3

by on May. 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetnsassymami
by Diabla on May. 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM

not suprising to me. my nephew started walking at 9 1/2 mos...he had to get orthopedic shoes because his legs started to bow.

debbie26
by Debbie on May. 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM

My DD started to walk one day after she was 9 months and her Dr. didn't seem bothered by it but she wasn't talking yet other then the normal ba ba, mom, mum mum and so on but my family didn't believe she was walking that early. ALL had to come see. but hey it's a good thing and congrats to your lil one this proves they just grow soo fast

Kristen5476
by on May. 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Well, your kid's smarter than mine then.  He'll be 10 months on Saturday and all we have down is 'mama' and 'baba' (and he's still learning how to associate what those things mean; 'baba' could still either mean bottle or bath time).He only army crawls (doesn't get up on all fours) and pulls himself up and cruises down the couch while holding on.  He still can't get from a crawling stance back to sitting up.

rachael_c
by on May. 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM

My son (my oldest) was a lot like this He didn't walk until he was about 14 months. 

It will happen soon enough for your son.  They grow too fast :(

Quoting Kristen5476:

Well, your kid's smarter than mine then.  He'll be 10 months on Saturday and all we have down is 'mama' and 'baba' (and he's still learning how to associate what those things mean; 'baba' could still either mean bottle or bath time).He only army crawls (doesn't get up on all fours) and pulls himself up and cruises down the couch while holding on.  He still can't get from a crawling stance back to sitting up.

Married (6-9-07)             Bryan (10-6-04)              Emma (07-25-08)             Trying for # 3

maxensmom
by on May. 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

at 11 months my son could say mama, dada, baba, daisy, kitty, and hi, and bye! your doctor is wrong! also walking early isn't that common but it's not that rare! my son started walking at 10 1/2 months.

and way to go for you daughter! be proud! don't let the doc convince you that she isn't "really" talking!

Greenstone920
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Milestones have nothing to do with intelligence.  My son didn't even say "dada" until 16 months, but he's on target with so many other things, and well ahead of the curve on others. 

Quoting Kristen5476:

ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM

My daughter started walking right before she turned 10 months old!  And she knew what mama meant from the first time she said it!  It sounds like your daughter is smart and your doctor is an idiot!

youngmamma11
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I think its pretty normal.. lots of babies learn early. People have told me that our two year old talks more than most kids her age.. i dont know if they are being nice or whatever.. our dr. told us the same thing.. but i mean i dont really care. Shes happy and healthy and thats all i need. My fiance is really really smart.. but he dropped out of high school and got a GED and works full time as a cook.. so you know... i guess its up to the kid whether they want to be smart or not..  

rachael_c
by on May. 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM

LOL, I cracked up when I read "Your daughter's smart and your dr's an idiot."

Quoting ShadowLark:

My daughter started walking right before she turned 10 months old!  And she knew what mama meant from the first time she said it!  It sounds like your daughter is smart and your doctor is an idiot!

Steph_reynolds
by on May. 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM

wow

both me, my little brother, and my son walked the day before we turned 10 months.

he is weird with talking though,  he will perfect a word, then wont use it anymore *shrugs*

even now at 20 months, he hardly says anything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)