Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

question about military and jury duty.........

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Not to get on the drama train again, but does anyone either in the military or a spouse, or prior service KNOW  FOR SURE how jury duty works if you are stationed in 1 state (or overseas), yet summoned for jury duty in your home state (supposing your driver's liscense is from that state)? I'm really curious, and I pulled up NH, my legal residence, but it doesn't say. BTW I am a spouse not a soldier.

*If you have any info. could you please attach a link from where you found it? Thanks.

by on Jun. 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Navygurl76
by on Jun. 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Not sure how it works in NH, but I am active duty military and was called to jury duty in IL. I called the number that was on the jury duty summons and told them what my situation was and about being active duty and they told me to fax in a copy of my military ID and that I would not have to stand jury duty. If there was a contact number on the paperwork, I would give it a call and find out what the procedure is for your state.

Hope that helps,

Pilar

RmeWifey01
by on Jun. 4, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Ahh, I see. Thanks. I haven't gotten one yet but I am sure my turn is coming, though they still have us registered to vote by absentee ballot out of Germany, so we didn't get to vote in this election. Yeah I am torqued about that!

Quoting Navygurl76:

Not sure how it works in NH, but I am active duty military and was called to jury duty in IL. I called the number that was on the jury duty summons and told them what my situation was and about being active duty and they told me to fax in a copy of my military ID and that I would not have to stand jury duty. If there was a contact number on the paperwork, I would give it a call and find out what the procedure is for your state.

Hope that helps,

Pilar

bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2009 at 1:12 AM

You just call them and tell them you are stationed out of state.  I got a summons for my home state (sent to my dad's address) when we were stationed in Missouri.  He just went to the court one afternoon and told them I was married to a man in the military and we were living out of state.  They took me off the list.

kmsmommy430
by on Jun. 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM

ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SERVE JURY DUTY. SPOUSES WHO ARENT ARE EXCEPT IF OVER SEAS WITH DH

i am 23 yr old military wife mother of one ds and i have an 18 yr old adopted daughter. i am a non spanking, vaxing, non cio, erf, organic feeding , juice limiting, smokeing, dispossible diaper useing mom , who cant stand people telling me how to raise my ds. if you dont like what i do then dont do it with yours. i didnt marry you or have babys with you so  ill do it my way and you do it yours.

air forceteen girltoddler boy

anikahaynes1
by on Jun. 5, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Yeah I got summoned once not too long after high school, my husband was deployed and I had just had our oldest daughter, she was maybe 2-3 months at the time. I explained the whole situation to them, got out of that jury duty and haven't been summoned since, so maybe they took me off too.

IF I could have done it, I wouldn't have minded though. Ya most the cases are lame but I think it'd be fun to do it. Call me weird haha.

Quoting bluesky51201:

You just call them and tell them you are stationed out of state.  I got a summons for my home state (sent to my dad's address) when we were stationed in Missouri.  He just went to the court one afternoon and told them I was married to a man in the military and we were living out of state.  They took me off the list.

bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I was in a different state (my state of record was Georgia and I was in Missouri) and they didn't require me to come back and said they don't ask people to come from out of state if it's a military thing.

Quoting kmsmommy430:

ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SERVE JURY DUTY. SPOUSES WHO ARENT ARE EXCEPT IF OVER SEAS WITH DH

RmeWifey01
by on Jun. 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Now see, I can understand being required to serve since I am a spouse and NOT active myself AND if I was still IN STATE, but.......this being said since we are/I am in the midwest and our DL's are registered to NH, do they REALLY think that we'd be willing to spend hundreds of $ on gas and hotels and a sitter just to drive across the country to serve what might only be 1 day and at our OWN expense? I mean in all seriousness, that's just STUPID. This is why I am hoping to get this all cleared up now so when and if the time comes I will be prepared. If they were willing to shell out the expense money, there'd be no problem b/c I am a SAHM so yeah I have time, but certainly do not have the money laying around to make that kind of a trip at the whim of a state government. I mean if you think about it, it would literally cost AT LEAST close to $1000 to serve jury duty from here. When we were in Germany I pretty much figured they would never call me b/c I certainly was not shelling out the $ for a round-trip plane ticket for me and 2 kids.

Quoting kmsmommy430:

hurleydoll18
by on Jun. 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

My hubby is registered in Fl but we are stationed in Savannah, Ga.  He was summoned while he was deployed so my MIL either called or went down and explained that he was deployed.  i'm not sure how it would have worked if he were in the states. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN