Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Severe shortness of breath...can you help me?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:19 AM
  • 4 Replies

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I have some kind of thyroid issue (we're still testing to determine exactly what it is). I don't know if either of those two things have anything to do with what's going on right now or not. Lately, I have been feeling extremely out of breath. I know feeling out of breath is a somewhat normal pregnancy symptom, but this is my third baby and this is not normal. This is bad. For instance, I am sitting here at my desk completely out of breath. I feel like my heart is going to pound out of my chest right now. If I don't stop and rest (sit somewhere completely still), I will start to lose feelings in my hands and feet and even get lightheaded. I have gotten so lightheaded in the shower that I've had to sit down and stay there for 10-15 minutes at a time (this has happened numerous times). I don't know what's going on. I have an appointment Thursday morning with my OB and was planning on talking to her then, but do you think it's something I should talk to her about sooner, like, tomorrow?

UPDATE: Soon after writing this post last night, I started hyperventilating. It came on suddenly and out of no where. I did go to the ER. They tested my blood sugar for gestational diabetes (my mom's request) and did an EKG. The EKG came back OK but the doctor wants me to have a CT scan to check for pulmonary embolisms. Since the risk of radiation poisoning is so high to my baby, I have to talk to my OB about it first. I've been on WebMD all morning and with my symptoms, a pulmonary embolism is the first thing to pop up on the symptom checker. Now I'm even more frustrated because I went to the ER and still have no answers. No one can tell me what's going on. They said I probably started hyperventilating because I was short of breath and no one was home but me and the kids. I understand that, but why am I short of breath in the first place? And how to feel so short of breath when I'm not doing anything, but sitting? This doesn't make much sense right now.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM

It sounds like an adrenal gland problem to me.  I don't recall reading about adrenal issues with pregnancy though. But, from your symptoms, my first thought is adrenal.  Do some googling on the adrenal glands and disorders you can have and see if it sounds familiar.

cjsix
by faith on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I'm not sure what's happening with you right now but, I can tell you that as the mom of six,the last three after I was diagnoised with respritory problems...that I have never had anything like what you are discribing happen.I do have some strong concerns about what you are telling is going on  and recommend that you call your doctor immediately and let the answering service know you NEED to talk to them or the doctor on call ...you do need them to call you back right away.They may be able to help on the phone but...don't e surprized if they tell you to go to the ER and if it takes more than 10-20 minutes for them to call back call again and let the answering service know you're heading for the ER and to tell the doctor NOW!prayingI'll say a prayer that everything is alright ! remember you're doing this for yourself and your little one.

MommySteph06
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:27 AM

bump for update

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM

stork

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

You may also want to post on some of CafeMom's pregnancy groups!

Click on this Newcomers Club link to find PREGNANCY Info On CafeMom!

Best wishes!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)