• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Washington DC

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM
  • 9 Replies

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on vacationing in Washington DC.  For example what to make sure we see, also what type of transportation would you recommend.  We are thinking on using one of those trolley type buses.  Any help would be appreciated.

In His service,

Brenda

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Use the Metro for basic transportation.  Never use a cab as they are super expensive.  Who all is going on this trip as that will effect where you should go.  I lived in Northern Virginia/DC for several years and went to college up there and most of my family is still up there.

bb1214
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Well my Mom is going with my husband and me and our 2 children 13 and 9.  What is the metro, does it take you to all the different things and then you can get back on it to go to the next thing you want to see and then finally get taken to your car.  I have seen so many different ways to get around DC in this handbook I wrote for.  They all look like they are a tour type thing.  I hope this enough information.  I really appreciate your help.  It is a little overwhelming.

In His service,

Brenda

Jenny301
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:53 AM

The Metro is the subway.  Have you checked out any of the museums?  Those would be good places to take your children, depending on their interests.  I hear the botanical garden is really nice.  I've never been to it, but my hubby escapes to it from work whenever possible.

Quoting bb1214:

Well my Mom is going with my husband and me and our 2 children 13 and 9.  What is the metro, does it take you to all the different things and then you can get back on it to go to the next thing you want to see and then finally get taken to your car.  I have seen so many different ways to get around DC in this handbook I wrote for.  They all look like they are a tour type thing.  I hope this enough information.  I really appreciate your help.  It is a little overwhelming.

In His service,

Brenda

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Quoting bb1214:

In His service,

Brenda

Actually the Metro is kinda like the Subway except is stops and most all the major sites/places in DC.  You will want to spend a full day or two on the mall visiting the monuments and various museums within the Smithsonium.  When are you going to be taking this trip (time of year can affect what you will want to see or what may be available to see ).  Do the kids have any particular interests? Oh and if you or your mom likes anyting artistic, the Freer and Sachler galleries have beautiful art from all over the world though they specialize in Asian art (which is also on The Mall).  A must hit for kids is the American History Museum (btw has a kewl exhibit dedicated to the First Ladies that a friend of mine helped design) and the Natural History Museum.  Also Air and Space Museum, Ford's Theatre, The US Treasury and such are all usually hits with kids.  If you want to have a more cultural trip the American Indian Museum and the Holocaust Museum may be ideas.  All these places are located very close to one another.  Are you planning on wanting to attend any activies/shows?

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:58 AM

I live in Metro DC, and my advice is NOT TO COME HERE. Its miserable , traffic stinks, people are rude and ignorant and its HOT AS HECK in summer. I am moving this summer and i cant wait to get out of here.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

bb1214
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM

We are going to be there Monday of next week and Friday.  If we have to add another day or so we can.  I have only ever been on one subway and that was in NY I guess I don't really understand how the subway works and looks.  The one in Ny was underground.  I am also in a wheelchair.  I was told everything is accessible.  Would anyone know what these trolley type tours are or are they the same as the metro.

Thanks again for your help.  I do appreciate it.

In His service,

Brenda

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Quoting bb1214:

We are going to be there Monday of next week and Friday.  If we have to add another day or so we can.  I have only ever been on one subway and that was in NY I guess I don't really understand how the subway works and looks.  The one in Ny was underground.  I am also in a wheelchair.  I was told everything is accessible.  Would anyone know what these trolley type tours are or are they the same as the metro.

Thanks again for your help.  I do appreciate it.

In His service,

Brenda

Metros are both above and underground depending on which stop it is.  They are very easy to use even if you have never done something like it before.  And yes everything is wheelchair accesible. 

NCMommy2be
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:47 AM

I did the old town trolly tour and it was AMAZING! We LOVED IT. They have buy 1 day get the next day free so you have 2 days of the tour. That is the best bang for your buck.

bb1214
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it.  I am going to call a couple of the trolly companies and see if they can handle my wheel chair and I will be all set.

If anyone else has suggestions please let me know.

In His service,

Brenda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)