• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Free Books

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:50 AM
  • 10 Replies

Dolly Parton has a charity where you can sign your child up for free books (one per month until they are five). It's a great program, I've mentioned it on here before, just thought I would let you ladies know.

It's called Success by six.

Please keep bumping for questions and to let other ladies know. Times are tough, and books are expensive.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellalenise
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:54 AM

That sounds good. My dd's pediatrician does the same thing.

meandmybean
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:57 AM

We've been donating to it since we found out about it. We don't use it, so I'm not sure about the quality of the books. I think one of the moms in our moms club uses it and she said they are hard cover books, really high quality.

I'm not sure if the money is districted by areas though, I know you have to live in an area with a program and we are in a picture perfect family town with a ton of money.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Her program doesnt reach this far but WIC and Maternity support hand out books for the children.  Maternity support is through the department of health for washington state and they give vouchers for books to children under the age of one.  We spend alot of time over at library otherwise LOL.

bellalenise
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Oh I see. Well then that is really neat. I'd like to donate books.

The books the doctor gives out are new. I'm not sure what program it is, but they give a new book to your child every year.

meandmybean
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:30 AM

All of her books are new, you either donate new books or cash.

It's one a month.

Our Dr. gives an age appropriate toy per year up to 5, it's funny. It was a wooden ring stacker at one.

Quoting bellalenise:

Oh I see. Well then that is really neat. I'd like to donate books.

The books the doctor gives out are new. I'm not sure what program it is, but they give a new book to your child every year.

HTheriault
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Many local United Way chapters have a similar program too.  Be sure to sign up for any grocery store reward cards (like Publix, Harris Teeter) and their corresponding baby/toddler programs - we got all kinds of cool little age-appropriate things from Publix for DD! 

Also, for when they get older and you've introduced them to the computer (or school has), these are free online books:  http://en.childrenslibrary.org/  and http://www.talewins.com/Browzer/kids.htm

And this one is free online audio books:  http://www.free-books.org/children.php

Although nothing beats a trip to the library too! :)  Happy reading!!

"We all have a few failures under our belt.  It's what makes us ready for the successes."  (Randy K. Milholland)

meandmybean
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Has anyone used the program? What type of books did you get?

meandmybean
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:45 PM

bumping

orionsmom1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM

We are a part of that program. Here it is called the Dolly Parton  Imagination Library; my son gets a new hard cover book everymonth. The books are not used, they are brand new... we have gotten some really cool books!

The Post Killas!

If you are a momma that always gets igored, or just a post killer... join my group!

alliran
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM

wow that's kool. ok how can I look it up is there things to get more info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)