Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever Sold a House? Was it Easy or Hard?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

Have you ever sold a house you owned/lived in?

Did you do anything to fix it up like they do on HGTV?

I'm planning on selling this next year come January..and I'm all nervous that It'll take a year or two even though our places are 6 years old and we had MAJOR construction in every room inside and out (of our townhome/condos) done...lol.

I'm scared someone will hear a creak on the floor, or see a hole in the ceiling from a drill or a scratch on a door or something and be like: too much work...to fix it up I'm outta here!

I swear those shows like "Unsellables" and "Get it Sold" and stuff make me nervous. B/c they always update everything, take out all the furniture except "show pieces" and paint neutral tones. I'm like can people SERIOUSLY not see past paint colors, that has to be the EASIEST thing to fix on a wall: a paint color!

I Wub My Family!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bablondie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:23 AM

I finally got excited to paint my own home, my bedroom is lilac colored (or light purple) omg no one will prob buy the townhome with a lilac bedroom (decorated shabby chic style) lol...

don't friggin' tell me I have to paint it all over again some boring taupe color!!! ugh.I mean afterall, I did buy this townhome with the brightest yellow bedroom (ew) and burgundy walls downstairs that I changed to an earthy green color (looks like sage). So I looked past the colors...

edwardsgirl
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:26 AM

We have. It was years ago and fairly easy.

We did fix it up a little bit. Repainted. Deep cleaned carpets, laid new tile, planted new flowers and shrubbery, trimmed up the outside with fresh paint and put on new doors, new dishwasher, stove and fridge.

bablondie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM

I have a checklist: plan

some more painting, to make it "uniform" and, trim touching up (to make the white stand out). I am def gonna steam clean the carpets over and over until they are nicer...I hope that does not deter buyers b/c my son has done a number on our carpets downstairs!!!

Nothing is noticable or falling apart, but I need to chalk around my shower.

Probably mostly putting my stuff in storage, at least 1/3 of it to 2/3 of it and scrubbing every last inch of the place.

I thought about repainting the garage door, Idk if dumb things like that pull buyers in, probably so..but I don't have 3 million hours to decdicate but I can at least get all the spiderwebs and cobwebs out of the garage! lol

Quoting edwardsgirl:

We have. It was years ago and fairly easy.

We did fix it up a little bit. Repainted. Deep cleaned carpets, laid new tile, planted new flowers and shrubbery, trimmed up the outside with fresh paint and put on new doors, new dishwasher, stove and fridge.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

mdraper
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM
yeaa , i dont think the paint matters as much as they say it does either. when we bought our house the one bedroom was this dark dark blue color with a tennessee titans border in it , another bedroom was green with butterflies all over lol and even the kitchen was terrible , it was done in apple decor and the top half was a tan color and then bottom was dark red ( it was eperated by a border ) and it looked ok but the cabinets are a very dark wood and theres only one window so not too much light came in and it was just sooooo dark , and imo kitchens are supposed to be light and cheery lol
Schleetle
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM

No we want to sell our house in January too, and I just said to DH yesterday "I hope when January comes around everyone isn't gonna be sticking a bunch of houses on the market". LoL I figure its probably a time people will though... We have to wait until November because thats when we have owned it 2yrs we don't have to pay taxes to sell it, but I will be 8months pregnant in Nov. so we have to hold off until January. We will have a little over a year to sell it. I hope it goes quick, and we don't end up losing tons on it. Its a new house, and we have upgraded it quite a bit so I hope we break even, or as close as possible. As of now though, I never want to own a house again. We kept all our paint neutral except our sons' room is greyish-blue.

Pregnancy Ticker

mrsmilfy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I think I remember watching "Flip That House" or "Flipping Out" can't remember which one...but it said a good paint job can add up to $500 in value on the house, so maybe it is a good idea to paint it a nice neutral color. Good luck

Tes...Jacksmami
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Well, we have been trying to sell our house for 2 and a 1/2 years. What does that tell you? :)

I don't think a new paint job would do a thing for our house. It needs a lawn, a paved drive or at least graveled, perimeter fencing, outbuildings.... .The list goes on, if you know what I mean.

bablondie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM

It took me like 3.5 years before I finally painted my bedroom and master bath the colors I wanted to match my Shabby Chic white bedrooom...lilac colors and the bathroom a powdery blue. So I'll be darn if i'm going to repaint some lame taupe/neutral beige color b/c buyers can't imagine repainting them! I know guys would be turned off by a lilac bedroom...but come on, it's not like the pipes in the house are broken, it's paint! No house is gonna be painted exactly the way you want or color you want!

So yes, I think hgtv goes too far, but maybe they are in towns where houses just never sell!

Quoting mdraper:

yeaa , i dont think the paint matters as much as they say it does either. when we bought our house the one bedroom was this dark dark blue color with a tennessee titans border in it , another bedroom was green with butterflies all over lol and even the kitchen was terrible , it was done in apple decor and the top half was a tan color and then bottom was dark red ( it was eperated by a border ) and it looked ok but the cabinets are a very dark wood and theres only one window so not too much light came in and it was just sooooo dark , and imo kitchens are supposed to be light and cheery lol

bablondie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:57 PM

My whole downstairs is neutral; sages and stone colors and beige

but my room is lilac b/c it's my room, I hate having to think about what color the next owner would like I would just like to paint my house the color I want it lol. So the only room I would probably redo is my bedroom and possibly bathroom (but bathrooms are a friggin' pain in the butt to paint)...a taupe color...but I don't really want to. If my house is on the market 2 mos and it's not selling THEN I'll paint those rooms, I guess!

And my kid's room is chocolate on 2 walls and baby blue on the other two walls...so I think I'll keep those colors but my son's closet is like an apple green, so I could repaint that so no one thinks it's too "out there"

but that's about all the repainting i want to do. I still have so much painting to do as it is touching up and finishing my stone color downstairs on my beams, and chocolate on my stairway and touch up beige and trims....

Quoting Schleetle:

No we want to sell our house in January too, and I just said to DH yesterday "I hope when January comes around everyone isn't gonna be sticking a bunch of houses on the market". LoL I figure its probably a time people will though... We have to wait until November because thats when we have owned it 2yrs we don't have to pay taxes to sell it, but I will be 8months pregnant in Nov. so we have to hold off until January. We will have a little over a year to sell it. I hope it goes quick, and we don't end up losing tons on it. Its a new house, and we have upgraded it quite a bit so I hope we break even, or as close as possible. As of now though, I never want to own a house again. We kept all our paint neutral except our sons' room is greyish-blue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)