Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im trying to loose weight...I could use some advice from any "dieting" mamas...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM
  • 21 Replies

I have a few questions for you "dieting" mamas. What do u eat thru out the day? like what's an example of ur typical daily menu? What can I eat for breakfast that's quick & healthy? I dont have time to cook eggs or anything else healthy on most mornings. Also, what do u do for snacks? I snack all night. I'll eat a good dinner, but then I end up snacking all night until I go to bed. And what do u do to crave chocolate/sweet cravings? I know it's alot of questions, but I'm new at this. Thanks ladies!

busy momCrystal  margarita time
*Single, working, loving mom to Madison - 3 1/2 & Danny - 19mons

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmommy2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:22 AM

before i became pregnant (i am 15wks2 days) i dieted all the time and lost alot of weight. also, i take what i did before i got pregnant and incorporated alot of that into my pregnancy diet. so here was my typical diet meny:

breakfast: a yogurt and a piece of wheat toast, or i'd eat a fruit granola bar with some low fat cottage cheese(i have more that i did but i am only putting one or two for each category or i'll be typing for the next hour)

snack: piece of string cheese,piece of fruit

lunch: tunafish sandwich on wheat bread,a salad with lettuce,tomatoes,cucumbers,nuts,lowfat cheese and lowfat dressing

snack:piece of fruit,a couple of celery sticks with lowft peanut butter

dinner: whatever i had planned for that day and i would just eat a small portion. i couldn't honestly make my hubby and boys pay for what i wanted to do to be healthier.

*** i also drank alot of water and iced tea and stayed pretty active throughout the day.

ambr2006
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Losing weight for me is a bit of a challenge. My recommendations to you or any other mom is to drink lots of water and WALK. This had helped me in so many ways, try to stay away from fatty foods and softdrinks, sugary foods. Take "women one a day" vitamins to help boost your metabolism too. I'm at 177, but I'm tall with it so it works okay, but I want to get down to at least 130.  I have some Dereon jeans that was given to me from my sister as a motivation to lose weight and I want to get into them by mid july. My mom told me that "Its easy to put it on, but hard to take it off." She was so right, my weight is in my butt and thighs, I hate it, but I'm going to meet my goal. Try to think thin, that helps too.

sahmommy2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:28 AM

forgot to mention in my reply.. i didnt allow myself to snack after dinner which we usually eat at bet. 5-6 pm and if i had a sweet craving... i either ate a few m&ms or would pop a piece of gum i my mouth

JenB1983
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Hey there momma!  I've been working on losing weight since last fall(currently down 45lbs).  My menu changes quite often.  I really like english muffins with a bit of peanut butter and some fruit for breakfast though.  For lunches I make salads quite often; normally in something with a lid if I use dressing.  That is so that I can measure out a serving of dressing and then shake the heck out of my salad so that the dressing is spread throughout.  LOL  EIther that or I just toss a scoop of fat free cottage cheese on it instead of dressing.  Dinner is generally whatever gets made for our family.  Could be something really healthy, or it could be fried chicken.  LOL  Snacks are generally some fruit or veggies(that I keep sliced and ready in the fridge), or maybe a special k bar(those things are GREAT).  The big thing for me was learning to follow my bodie's cues that I was full, and not continuing to eat.  When I do have a craving I will generally just drink some water and workout a bit(even just going for a quick walk); and if I still crave it, I have it.  I've found that by not forbidding any specific foods I have done way better with losing weight than ever before.  I have also discovered how much I love working out.  I go to the YMCA at least 5 times a week.  My favorite thing to do is my Zumba class; what an AWESOME class!  And I bought a bike trailer, so I take my boys out for bike rides a couple times a week too.  And buying a zoo membership was a great thing; that is something else that we do about 2-3 times a week...which is just even more walking.  :-D  Good luck momma!!!!

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM

My huge things have been portion control, snacking throughout the day, lots of water, no pop except for one diet during the day and I have switched to the Michelob Ultra Beer if I want a beer.

I snack on nuts and fruits through out the day, those healthy choice TV dinners sometimes at lunch instead of fast food. I have lost 10 pounds in a week and half. For breakfast it is usually wheat toast with bananas or oatmeal.

ambr2006
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Staying active is so important, never eat and lay down after a meal, that is a no no. If you have a dog, grab his leash and walk that dinner off, burn those calories off. I do it every evening after dinner with my family. I have 2 preschoolers here, and they keep me active. I run around the yard with them, I play kickball, volleyball with them, and I just purchased one of those outdoor inflatable bouncers that kids can get in and jump and have a good time, and i get in there too.

Quoting sahmommy2:

before i became pregnant (i am 15wks2 days) i dieted all the time and lost alot of weight. also, i take what i did before i got pregnant and incorporated alot of that into my pregnancy diet. so here was my typical diet meny:

breakfast: a yogurt and a piece of wheat toast, or i'd eat a fruit granola bar with some low fat cottage cheese(i have more that i did but i am only putting one or two for each category or i'll be typing for the next hour)

snack: piece of string cheese,piece of fruit

lunch: tunafish sandwich on wheat bread,a salad with lettuce,tomatoes,cucumbers,nuts,lowfat cheese and lowfat dressing

snack:piece of fruit,a couple of celery sticks with lowft peanut butter

dinner: whatever i had planned for that day and i would just eat a small portion. i couldn't honestly make my hubby and boys pay for what i wanted to do to be healthier.

*** i also drank alot of water and iced tea and stayed pretty active throughout the day.

KCollins81
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:32 AM

When I did loose a good portion of my weight I counted calories. I ate 1400-1500 calories a day. I also walked for at least 1/2 hour everday which was easy b/c I have dogs. I also on days would use an eliptical for about an hour. I would do the eliptical in the morning and walk the dogs when I go home from work. I also drank a done of water; but I am a water drinker any way I love ice cold water. I stayed way from sodas. If I did have a craving for chocolate which I did I bought myself the sugar free kind. Which to my surprise was not that bad. Hope this helps.

ambr2006
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Fast food will kill you, I'm serious. It is no good for you or your kids, so much oil in their fries now is unbelievable. Dieting is no easy job, but if you have a good motivation coach or a cheer team like I do, you can do it. My sister is 38, two kids, and looks fabulous. She cheers me on everyday.

Quoting lapcounter:

My huge things have been portion control, snacking throughout the day, lots of water, no pop except for one diet during the day and I have switched to the Michelob Ultra Beer if I want a beer.

I snack on nuts and fruits through out the day, those healthy choice TV dinners sometimes at lunch instead of fast food. I have lost 10 pounds in a week and half. For breakfast it is usually wheat toast with bananas or oatmeal.

ambr2006
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Snacking is my enemy eight now. After dinner I walk and come home and eat a slice of cheesecake I have in the fridge, and I add extra whipped topping, I suck at that you guys. I have to lose the sweet tooth too, I gotta have something sweet to eat.

Quoting sahmommy2:

forgot to mention in my reply.. i didnt allow myself to snack after dinner which we usually eat at bet. 5-6 pm and if i had a sweet craving... i either ate a few m&ms or would pop a piece of gum i my mouth

sahmommy2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:44 AM

snacking is a hard enemy to conquer... i felt your pain in the beginning. it took a while to get the hang of doing the right thing. but in a year and a half(before i got pregnant), i had lost almost 90 pds. so far in my pregnany with doing alot of what i did before i got pregnant, i have only gained 9 pds and i am almost 4 months pregnant. and like you posted in the one comment... yes staying active, walking playing with your kids is an awesome way to lose weight. i use to take an evening walk for an hour or so a few times a week and played outside with my boys.plus i worked out at home with exercise videos and free weights for 45 minutes a couple times a week. my boys even liked to do some of the videos with me lol it was too cute.

Quoting ambr2006:

Snacking is my enemy eight now. After dinner I walk and come home and eat a slice of cheesecake I have in the fridge, and I add extra whipped topping, I suck at that you guys. I have to lose the sweet tooth too, I gotta have something sweet to eat.

Quoting sahmommy2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)