Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHMs...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:53 AM
  • 38 Replies

What do you SAHMs do for your child(ren)s clinginess? I am a SAHM, Dh is gone from 5 am-6pm. My son is almost 10 months old and up my @$$. I can't deal with it. He doesn't want anyone else, even when DH comes home, he crawls in the kitchen and practically hugs my leg. And if we go somewhere, forget about. He pitches a fit if I give him to someone else to hold him. What am I supposed to do?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3timesoccermom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Wait it out.  It will pass.  Try to keep in mind in a few short years you'll be lucky to get a hug from him. 

BabyinAug08
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I guess but it just drives me up the wall. For example, last night he was playing in the living room just fine, the minute DH came home, Carlos Dominic (our son) crawled into the kitchen and practically tree hugged my leg. Then we went over to SILs house to help her with some paper work, Carlos Dominic would not let her hold him, he was kicking , crying and did the same when daddy took him. I am not ready to put him in daycare this young, but OMG something has to give. I don't want to have a "momma's boy"

Quoting 3timesoccermom:

Wait it out.  It will pass.  Try to keep in mind in a few short years you'll be lucky to get a hug from him. 

3timesoccermom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Trust me, be patient.  You have no idea how fast it will go. 

Joslyns_mommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Joslyn was like this for the first 7 months! (NO JOKE) Only wanted mommy.. would take daddy if he was closer but the second she saw me.. it was over for daddy. She would even scream bloody heck if a stranger looked at her (from across the room!) Would not even go to g'parents until she was 8 months old.

Was/is your DS breastfed? Joslyn was.. and I think that isanother reason why she preferred me as well.

Just hang in there... I know it can be frustrating.. But try to hang in there.

Jacky

www.ourstickybean.blogspotcom

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

marissa615
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:07 AM

My DD is 15 months, I've been a SAHM since her birth.  I haven't had this prob.  She is def more comfy with me then anyone else.  But when daddy comes home from work she goes right to him giggling, happy to see him.  When she see's my mom she practically comes out of her skin to get to her.  And when either of them leave she will cry for a minute, as she does if i leave the house,but after a min she's playing and fine.  I do know that she settle in with me easier then with DH but that's because I'm with her alot more then hubby is.  I also have my DD do some independant play.  Always have,  she goes over to her shelves in the living room and pulls down her books and sits and flips through books...she loves books...she could keep herself busy for awhile without even noticing if I'm in the room or not.  Of cource we do alot of interactive play, & I read to her as well.  Maybe it's just a phase, or a personality.  Good Luck.   Does anyone ever watch him besides you?   My mom comes over couple times a week so I can have some me time.  On weekends I leave her with my hubby for a few hours and do grocery shopping by myself (ahhh...a luxery to me...lol). 

savannahnhi
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM

My daughter was super clingy to me since she was born.  She is 7 now and does not even miss me when she is in school.  She is so independent now,  It will pass.

Kat770
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Why don't you wear him, so he can be close and you can go hands-free?

Kathryn
I'm a breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping--sometimes bed-sharing, non-CIO, disposable diaper using, Southern born and raised, Native American (Potawatomi), Christian but won't bash you for your beliefs because that's fine, conservative libertarian, lactivist, attachment parent and loving wife to Clay and mommy to Eleanor Yvonne (born 3-30-09).

BabyinAug08
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Becuase he weighs over 24 lbs. and the slings and the baby carries only go to about that.

Quoting Kat770:

Why don't you wear him, so he can be close and you can go hands-free?

BabyinAug08
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I BFed for the first couple of months but it was too stressful on both of us. However, I think another thing that i screwed up on is that when he takes his afternoon nap, I usually let him sleep in the bed with me while I watch my soap operas. But for example, he was playing in the living room and realized that I was gone so he crawled into the bedroom to the desk (where we keep the computer) and is sitting on my foot and playing with a stuffed animal.

Quoting Joslyns_mommy:

Joslyn was like this for the first 7 months! (NO JOKE) Only wanted mommy.. would take daddy if he was closer but the second she saw me.. it was over for daddy. She would even scream bloody heck if a stranger looked at her (from across the room!) Would not even go to g'parents until she was 8 months old.

Was/is your DS breastfed? Joslyn was.. and I think that isanother reason why she preferred me as well.

Just hang in there... I know it can be frustrating.. But try to hang in there.

BabyinAug08
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:15 AM

The olny time he is watched by someone else (besides DH) is when I have to take my exams, its for 2 hours every month. During that time, I bring DHs neice with me to the testing center and she watches him outside the classroom becuase I don't trust her in my home. She is 15 but one time she was over and allowed a boy to come over without consulting with us. If I had someone else to watch him during that time I would, but we just moved to Orlando and I have no family or friends here yet. DHs Brother and sister both live here, but they are both shitty.

Quoting marissa615:

My DD is 15 months, I've been a SAHM since her birth.  I haven't had this prob.  She is def more comfy with me then anyone else.  But when daddy comes home from work she goes right to him giggling, happy to see him.  When she see's my mom she practically comes out of her skin to get to her.  And when either of them leave she will cry for a minute, as she does if i leave the house,but after a min she's playing and fine.  I do know that she settle in with me easier then with DH but that's because I'm with her alot more then hubby is.  I also have my DD do some independant play.  Always have,  she goes over to her shelves in the living room and pulls down her books and sits and flips through books...she loves books...she could keep herself busy for awhile without even noticing if I'm in the room or not.  Of cource we do alot of interactive play, & I read to her as well.  Maybe it's just a phase, or a personality.  Good Luck.   Does anyone ever watch him besides you?   My mom comes over couple times a week so I can have some me time.  On weekends I leave her with my hubby for a few hours and do grocery shopping by myself (ahhh...a luxery to me...lol). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)