Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

read my lips. He is NOT drunk

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM
  • 7 Replies

I am exhausted. I did not sleep well at all Sunday night, so I was really looking forward to sleeping last night.
My husband is a type 1 diabetic. I woke up to him stumbling around the bathroom at  about 1:30 this morning.
 I had to call 911 & all hell broke lose from there. I swear they have no clue how to deal with a diabetic. I have had complaints about the fire dept & paramedics here before.
He is on the pump. One of the guys told me he has to be drunk because there is no way he could be acting like this on the pump. I said NO he is not drunk. He has no clue what he is saying or doing when his sugar gets really low.
Well his sugar was only 24 when they got to him. He was stuck in the bathroom & they were going to take the door own & ruin it. I managed to get in there & get it to where they could get to him. He had told them to take the door down though.
They take this as him being normal & knowing what is going on. I have told them every time he has no clue what is going on.

184/172/150

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
exceptalilfish
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM

my BIL does this same thing. he gets stumbly, angry and wont listen to any reason. he babbles the weirdest shit and you pretty much have to hold him down and pour sugar in his  mouth.

FDNYwife

awww how is he now.. Did they have to take him in? I dont know much about blood sugar.. Can they just give him a sugar pill or something?

Mommyclw

that sucks!!! I hope you the best!!!!

Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday PicLilypie Kids birthday Ticker
BrandonsMom1000

I hope he is doing better.  My FIL is diabetic (not on the pump--just shots), but he has had this happen to him.  It scraed the h--- out of my MIL.

Beth336
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:17 AM

you should make a dr. appt. and talk to him about the situation. then have him speak with the local responders since he seems to be a regular not a good thing, but if they come a few times a year maybe they can distinguish a care plan with the local responders that you keep in your home with guidelines and how he reacts and such.

i am a pca personal care aide and every client has a care plan we follow everyone acts diff. to things and meds. we are all diff.

but that would be a good step to see his reg. dr. and have them speak with the responders or send out a memo to them or something. 

mommybug77
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Quoting FDNYwife:

awww how is he now.. Did they have to take him in? I dont know much about blood sugar.. Can they just give him a sugar pill or something?

He just called me from work & seems to be o-kay. It depends on what stage I get to him if I can give him anything or not. He is usually beyond that stage by the time I realize something is wrong. He weighs more than I do & if he is in a combative stage it can be hard to get him to take anything. He came around before they actually took him to the hospital. I know he was in the back of the ambulance though.

184/172/150

willysmama
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I am a diabetic. I was on the pump and had problems getting it regulated when it first put in. I am back to shots for other reasons. When i have low like that i tend to want to fight and refuse to do anything while it is low. Do you have a glucose shot on hand? Do you know how to suspend the pump? I have ran across in my 18 yrs of being a diabetic, people that are in the medical profession that DIDN'T even know what a pump was. And one of them was a diabetic dr. Or thought people were drunk because they were low. My aunt was notrious for lows like that especially after she had been drinking. But has changed her life around and doesn't drink anymore because it is getting to hard on my uncle to have to deal with it. I would schedule an appt and get him into the dr and talk to them about these lows he is having. Good Luck hope he feels better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)