• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stupid b!@ch

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM
  • 33 Replies

OKay, so I make baby slings, and I have a couple people that are asking me to make them one.  They said they'd pay me for them, but I don't know how much I should charge for them.  Any suggestions?

Edit- I only have time to make them when Owen goes down for a nap.  The material costs me between $5-10 and they take from start to finish about 30 minutes to make.

Edit 2- Here's the moby sling i just put together....how much should I charge for these?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemy2boyz08
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:30 AM
I would charge around $15 maybe. You can buy one in the store for $20-$30.

alliran
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Those are cute. I like the yellow one I'd say 3-5 dollars. Depending on how much the materials cost and time to make them.

ccoyle4
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM

.see, i didn't even know what the stores charged for them...when i wanted to buy one, i couldn't find them anywhere, so i ended up just making one for myself....no where around here has them.

Quoting lovemy2boyz08:

I would charge around $15 maybe. You can buy one in the store for $20-$30.

Tawanda74
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I think at least $15. Try calculating the cost of supplies then how long it takes to make one. Your time is valuable so don't undersell yourself.  Also, you can always lower your prices later but it is difficult to raise them later on.

myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I would say $25.  $30 if you have to make them bigger for the bigger girls. 

I cringe when I see people wearing the slings with the sling only going over the shoulder (like in the last picture) and not wrapped around the shoulder (like in the first pic).  I had a sling with my last son that I wore all the time.  From not wrapping the sling around my shoulder,  the strain loosened the ligaments in my collar bone over time.  Now, almost 7 years later, my collar bone still pops out of place because of the weakened ligaments.  It is very uncomfortable when it pops out and usually takes a few days to pop back in. I had no idea that it could do that, but it really sucks now.

smilingmomma
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM

how  much time , money  does it cost to make .. you dont want   to charge 8 bucks when  it is 9 bucks to make kwim

come join us for laughs , crys and a great support system
http://www.cafemom.com/group/mommascorner
nancycsel
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I would say about $25-30. I paid $40 for my hotslings one at a store.

ccoyle4
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I've learned that it's a lot more comfortable if I pull it down over my shoulder.  It also fits tighter!

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I would say $25.  $30 if you have to make them bigger for the bigger girls. 

I cringe when I see people wearing the slings with the sling only going over the shoulder (like in the last picture) and not wrapped around the shoulder (like in the first pic).  I had a sling with my last son that I wore all the time.  From not wrapping the sling around my shoulder,  the strain loosened the ligaments in my collar bone over time.  Now, almost 7 years later, my collar bone still pops out of place because of the weakened ligaments.  It is very uncomfortable when it pops out and usually takes a few days to pop back in. I had no idea that it could do that, but it really sucks now.

Schleetle
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Without ever buying one before I would have guessed $20-30.

Pregnancy Ticker

sk_tennyson
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:49 AM

That is less than the cost of fabric alone! You need at least 1 yard of fabric which averages about $8 depending on what type you get, print, and the weight.

Quoting alliran:

Those are cute. I like the yellow one I'd say 3-5 dollars. Depending on how much the materials cost and time to make them.

OP I run a small business making diapers, children items, and cloth household items (If's And's & Butt's on hyenacart). What I suggest you do is find yourself some testers in a baby wearing group. I'd say 5 would be a good number.
Offer the slings free for shipping, just free, or free for shipping and cost of materials (no labor included). Make sure you ask the group owner about these testers, you don't want to get someone with a rep for taking the product and giving no feedback.
Have the testers use them for X amount of time (2 weeks is a good number for this).
Have them fill out a questionaire at the end of the testing period and include a question about how much they would pay. I'm guessing it's going to average out at about $20.

I will say that pouch style slings are starting to loose popularity. Moby wraps and Mei Tais are BOOMING! Www.hyenacart.com is a great place to get started after your testing phase, if you need any help setting it up or doing HTML customizations let me know and I can give you a hand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)