Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Passport question

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

We are taking a cruise to the Bahamas in September. Do we need to get passports to go?? And if we do what kind of passports do we need to get, the book (which are freaking expensive) or the card? If anyone knows and can help me I would really appreciate it. I want to get everything done and prepared to go asap so that I'm not rushing. It will be our first real trip with our son who will be almost 2 years old at the time and I want the trip to be stress free. Thanks in advance for the help. Oh and if you don't know please bump for me.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mom2acutiepie
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Bump, do I need to change the title of this post so that people will look at it??

ljsmamma07
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM

i always look everything up on the website..just google it. and if anything you can call border control.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
mitch576
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM

yes, you do need one for the bahamas.

and as far as i know...there is only one type of passport.

i got mine a year ago... i had expeditied it so it cost us extra.

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

SuziWeaver
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM

The wallet-size passport card is convenient and less expensive than the passport book. However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

The card costs $45 for a first-time adult passport applicant and $35 for all minor applicants under age 16, regardless of whether they are previous passport book or card holders.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Nicki1985
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM

As far as I know there is only one type of passport, and the law changed last week and you need a passport to go in and out of the US, to anywhere! So yes, you do need one. You'll probably want to have it expedited since your trip is only a few months away. It can take up to 12 weeks for them to send it back to you!!

elleinad
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Girl, you needed to get on this like 3 months ago! I know people who applied for expedited passports and STILL didn't get them for 8 months.

"Suffering is not the worst thing; indifference is. Happiness is not the most important thing in life; aliveness is." (Erich Fromm)
mitch576
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM

oh... see i had gone to bermuda...international air travel, that's why i have the book.

when we went to apply...they asked us where we were going and gave us what we needed... i didn't know there was a "card" per say....i avoid canada like the plague!

went there once...a few years ago. across the new hampshire border into a small town called "chartierville"

....how to i put this delicately? they don't like americans in the small town of chartierville, we were "ill" recieved and i have yet to return. lol

Quoting SuziWeaver:

The wallet-size passport card is convenient and less expensive than the passport book. However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

The card costs $45 for a first-time adult passport applicant and $35 for all minor applicants under age 16, regardless of whether they are previous passport book or card holders.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

mom2acutiepie
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I didn't know we were going on a cruise until last week, so I'm not sure how I was supposed to get it months ago. My mom got her, my step-dad and my brothers passports expedited because they are going to Norway next week and she already got them back. Oh she didn't know that my aunt was going to buy them tickets to Norway until 3 weeks ago and she didn't apply for their passports until 2 weeks ago.

Quoting elleinad:

Girl, you needed to get on this like 3 months ago! I know people who applied for expedited passports and STILL didn't get them for 8 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)