Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling your kids by other names... family.. kinda a spinoff

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM
  • 26 Replies

Does it irritate you sometimes when famliy or friends call your child by another name ( nickname or make one up for them..

My 7 yr old's name is Jaysie.. and my DH cousin calls her Jace Jace the Pretty Face... it bothers my  dd..

Or my neice 's name is isabella.. and they have started calling her Bell Bell.. My SIL wants everybody to call her this from now on... I just call her Isabella( a beautiful name) Sil gets upset and says "Auntie T we need to call her Bell Bell"  I just say okay and go on....

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I've never really had that problem.  As far as the grandparents giving the kids nicknames, I never minded.  They can call them whatever they want, it doesn't mean I have to. 

~Jill~

oceanus407
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM

No it doesn't bother me, but sometimes I wish they would just pick one! LOL. My husbands grandfather calls her like 3 differant things, and none of them match my daughters name...he calls her tomato, peaches and leche....

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM

i dont mind my family member's call my kid's nick name's and so do my hubby and i. 

Tes...Jacksmami
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Yes and no. The only name that bothers me is when they call him Sebastian. His name is Jack Thomas, not Sebastian. But its my own fault for not fighting my DH when Jack was born.

Mandymb
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Does not bother me. I think its cute when friends and family come up with nick names for the girls. Everyone calls my oldest Anna banana and she loves it and my youngest all ways gets called Ella Bella. I think its cute! 

in love                blowing bubbles                 baby girl

Nick and Mandy                       Anna 4                                  Ella 2

babyjet07
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM

No, I don't care.  Only two of my children have names you can shorten or turn into nicknames.  Jacob and my family calls him baby Jake its cute.  My daughters name is Lilyan and we call her Lily or Lil.  Or I call her little lily sometimes. Now on the other hand lol it irritates me sometime when people call me Mel....only cause Mel sounds like a big huge balding fat guys name lol I rarely ever hear my real name anymore.So I guess Im a hypocrite

witcheymommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM

yup, it bothers my husband more than it does me, but everyone calls our oldest daughter "Momo" or "Mo", her names Morgan..Ive actually gotten used to it, so it doesnt bother me much anymore.

exceptalilfish
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM

my son has sooooooooo many nick names lol, his cousins call him baby chan chan, i call him chan, chanboy, chanman, and my mom calls him peanut, which has some how transformed into peener, i dont get it lol but she sticks by it! my brother calls him chan-hattan lol. when i was pregnant with him, i was like OMG there is not a nickname for his name, guess i was wrong! lol

3proud
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM

But if it bothere the child.. would bother you... M youngest name is Jenna & her paw calls her Jenn Jenn but she likes it..

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Yea, THAT would bother me.  Calling my kids a completely different name that isn't a cutesy nickname or a variation of their actual name.  My oldest is Kenneth, but we call him Kenny, Hurricane Kenny, Buddy or whatever, but not Ralph (LOL), it's just simply not his name OR a nickname.

Quoting Tes...Jacksmami:

Yes and no. The only name that bothers me is when they call him Sebastian. His name is Jack Thomas, not Sebastian. But its my own fault for not fighting my DH when Jack was born.

~Jill~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)