Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Physical therapy...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  • 4 Replies

I wrote a post yesterday about how I was having severe issues with back pain. My doctor decided that I do need physical therapy for my back. I have to go three times a week for 4 weeks and then they will reevaluate me and see if I need more. I actually start tomorrow. I was surprised that they could get me in so fast.

I've never had physical therapy before. What do you do for back physical therapy? Am I going to hurt more until I get used to it?

I don't know why I'm nervous but I am. I don't want to be in more pain. I don't think I could stand it. So any suggestions or advice would be great thanks :)

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Daemons_mommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM

No one has ever had physical therapy before? Guess we have all been lucky :)

mamabeth4180
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM

you will warm up first, then use weight machines, and then usually an excersice to stretch you back as well, then you will do cool down stretches, and usually ice it.

they work on fizing your strength, range of motion, flexibility, and hopefully pain. It never worked for the pain aspect for me though...

and yes you will be sore from it, but you shouldn't take any pain meds before because you need to rate your pain at the beginning and at the end in most cases.

good luck

JustCallMe_♥Bethy♥_. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Daemons_mommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. It's a little scary not knowing what to expect. Thanks again :)

Quoting mamabeth4180:

you will warm up first, then use weight machines, and then usually an excersice to stretch you back as well, then you will do cool down stretches, and usually ice it.

they work on fizing your strength, range of motion, flexibility, and hopefully pain. It never worked for the pain aspect for me though...

and yes you will be sore from it, but you shouldn't take any pain meds before because you need to rate your pain at the beginning and at the end in most cases.

good luck

vickieb310
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM

My daughter had PT for a back injury from a cheerleading accident - they used stretches, some exercises, heat, massage and a TENS unit.

And yes, you should probably expect to be a little sore the first few times - as you would starting any new exercises - and your doctor should have told you that. 

But like the other mom said, you'll need to rate your pain on a 1-10 scale every time.

Good luck, it didn't help my daughter with her pain; and it didn't help my pain when I went for my shoulder.  The heat and massage felt REALLY nice though! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)