• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with lice PLEASE!!!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have 3 foster kids that ALWAYS have lice ~ there is like no way to get rid of this stuff for good; they are actually back at home with thier parents now but they are staying with me for the summer & of course they again came with lice & it has gotten to where the lice treatment doesn't even work anymore so I am looking for some new ideas for killing these pesky little bugs ~ any suggestions???

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwaysyoung
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:31 PM

bunp

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM

We don't use chemicals.We use mayonnaise on the hair and then cover the head with a plastic bag tied in place for 45 minutes and then wash out the mayonnaise with dawn dishwashing liquid.Use vinegar and a fine tooth comb to remove nits.

Put all stuffed animals and most of their clothes in a black plastic bag tied tight for 2 weeks.Wash the rest of their clothes and all their linens in lysol and spray down the beds  and other furniture with RC spray.

What good is your shouting if I am not listening anymore?
MrsRStewart
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM

We get this at the preschool every once in awhile.  It is awful.  Here is what you need to do.

Treat their hair first.

Bag up everything in plastic bags that is clothe that is not needed, all stuffed animals, extra clothes, pillows, everything. Leave them in these bags for a month.

Wash all clothes.  You can keep alot of the clothes in the bags for a month, and if you need more clothes, get them out and wash more,

Put tea tree oil in your shampoo.  Lice do not like this for whatever reason.

Keep checking their hair! I hope it works!

a wedding website

1sttimemommy198
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Another thing that works is vaseline for 30min...it smothers them...but it is a lot harder to wash out than mayo..and the mayo has to be real mayo..

Quoting laranadtony:

We don't use chemicals.We use mayonnaise on the hair and then cover the head with a plastic bag tied in place for 45 minutes and then wash out the mayonnaise with dawn dishwashing liquid.Use vinegar and a fine tooth comb to remove nits.

Put all stuffed animals and most of their clothes in a black plastic bag tied tight for 2 weeks.Wash the rest of their clothes and all their linens in lysol and spray down the beds  and other furniture with RC spray.

celticreverie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM

tee trea oil shampoo. It will keep them away.. it can be used daily. It works great!

Also, get tee tree oil, dilute it, and put it in a spray bottle and spray off furniture, curtians etc. Vacuume everything, place stuffed animals in garbage bags, in the garage, and wash clothing and bed sheets, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

mommycomespring
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM

My little sister used to keep head lice. She kept getting it at Kindergarten and the stuff from the drug store quit working. My mom read somewhere that olive oil kills them. It works really well. You just put it all over their head and I mean really saturate their hair with it. Then comb out all the nits. Oh and when you wash their hair I would use dish detergent. It helps with washing out the oil but their hair will still be kinda oily for a day. Also make sure you use the spray and wash all the bed linens and toys that they sleep or have their head near  like stuffed animals.

ganfield_c
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM

ITS GONNA SOUND ODD I KNOW!!! but i just told my neighbor to do this with her dd too cause shes been fighting it too for months. but find hair dye closest to her color and color her hair, the color will kill them and they cant latch on to colored hair either. believe me it works.  

lenalicyanide
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM

you could try blow drying their hair. after we got rid of it we were told to blow dry my dd's hair (a little late but still helpful in the future)

zandersmom05
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I dont know much about treatments bc I havent dealt with this yet personally...but a friend of mine's dd gets them a lot bc of school - well anyway....she stopped buying the lice treatments!!  she will comb through her dd's hair and take what she can find out (and puts it in a bowl with water in it) and smears mayo in her hair!!   She does this and then her daughter walks around with mayo in her hair for a bit and then goes and takes a shower....its seems to do what it needs to do and its cheaper than the treatment everytime!!

Good Luck

mstnbecki
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM

back when I was 12 and growing up in florida( i lived in the sticks lol) Id get it all the time.being poor then my dad could not afford the lice treatment so he used kerosene on my hair and it worked,I never got lice again after that and im now 40

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)