• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Necklace I made

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

Made from quahog shell that I cut and polished, leather strap, wooden beads, and painted a crow on it. My first attempt painting shell.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JaymeAnn2255
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM

How cute!!  I like it!!

miralerk
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM
thats cute
KatieFlower
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM

very nice! you did a great job 

Jynnifer292
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Thanks. I resorted to painting it after several attempts to carve a picture and shattering the shells. I don't have the patience. lol 

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Very nice artwork! Looks abstract if your not paying attention to the detail.

The only observation I will make - Maybe its just the picture - is that the paint looks kinda flat on there. I suggest maybe a sealent on there or maybe even carving outline around the crow (if you are having difficulty with the carving try a diamond dremmel). Or just experiment with a different type of paint to give it more demension 

P.S. if you have whole sale prices hit me up. I just started my own Pearl import business I have been looking for reasonable Shell & Mother of Pearl Jewelry.

thseptbabyblinkie.gif September Baby image by KsJenthinkinpinka1.gif I think in pink image by MoMeg_2006Married.gif happily married image by dorothy5678Supportbfing.gif Support Breastfeeding image by unique_style4unewfree_C-Section_Mommy.gif c-sect image by andee16SUPERGRIL.gif Super girl image by cassycharlie    

latinflags.gif LATiN MAMi image by KINDRA1_photosvintagets0.jpg MEXICAN GIRL image by malta57  3179736265.jpg Super Mom image by TruePatriot1776  Not_Worth_The_Lip_Gloss_by_Tokiochi.jpg image by HRForrest       

Jynnifer292
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Quoting Supervane:

Very nice artwork! Looks abstract if your not paying attention to the detail.

The only observation I will make - Maybe its just the picture - is that the paint looks kinda flat on there. I suggest maybe a sealent on there or maybe even carving outline around the crow (if you are having difficulty with the carving try a diamond dremmel). Or just experiment with a different type of paint to give it more demension 

P.S. if you have whole sale prices hit me up. I just started my own Pearl import business I have been looking for reasonable Shell & Mother of Pearl Jewelry.

Thanks. I have a diamond tip. The problem seems to be that the type of shell is brittle and is made up of layers that chip off easily. I don't know how the hell Native Americans made those perfect little beads out of it. I suspect it took them forever. I could probably use a little more silver in the paint to do some more shading on it.

If I ever get to the point that it doesn't take me two hours to make one, perhaps I will sell them. lol I am also not sure what would happen when they get wet which makes me think that a sealant of some sort would be a good idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)