Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever ENCOUNTERED anything SCARY on a hike or camping? Scary animals?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

Just wondering...

When I visit my sis's state, we go on some trails for long walks and signs say "If you see a Mountain Lion, act big and make loud noises" I'm like whhhhhhhhhat? lol.

We went up our close by mountain and saw two baby bears, I was freaked b/c I knew mama bear would be close by, so I ran and got in my car to take pics. lol.

Do you take anything to protect you while hiking or camping???

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I haven't experienced anything but DH has.  He was hiking with my dad and brother.  Well he poked his head over a hill and there was a young black bear face to face with him.  They both looked at each other and took off running opposite directions. 

gypsy_rose
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA we don't have to hike for stuff like that. We have seen

foxes

bobcat

bears

cyotes

moose (they scar me more then any of the others)

all in our front yard! lol when i go outside i make sure there is no skunks or raccoons on the porch. Once when i was outside having a ciggarette a skunk came on the porch and started sniffing me! LMAO now that scared the heck out of me. I can deal with a bite just don't spray me!

Edit forgot fisher cat

1 lynx who was just passing through

and a mt. lion

miralerk
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM

No althought the other day i was taking the dog for a walk and found out that deer hiss. Who knew.

theskillfactor
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I never ran into any animals, but once when we were hiking with my friend and her dad and siblings and my dad and siblings we got up the mountain, and weren't sure how to get down. Steve was even rationing our food in case we had to stay over night. And we were having to jump over big gaps in the mountain, and cross over tiny ledges that my heels were hanging off of. It was kinda scary, but we obviously made it out alive.

culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM

When I was in girl scouts when we went on a hike in the mountains we were getting ready to go around a corner and there was a big rattlesnake curled up on the trail.  The second time was in my 20's and I was hiking in the rainforest in Guadalupe and we experienced these really really big bugs on the trail (I don't know it the bugs count but they were as bigger than mice).

celticreverie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Big animals no...

BUT I almost ran right into a banana spider's web. The thing was as big as my face. Freaked me the fuck out.

Oh, and where I was swimming there was a water mockasin. I got out of their fast!

Once, I was in the ocean and swimming and saw a shadow coming at me. I was frozen, it looked like a shark, it was HUGE. Swam right next to me, it was a dolphin. I was like 10... it almost made me pee myself haha.

For those who don't know what a banana spider is:

http://www.toadhaven.com/images/banana%20spider.JPG

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

ChaoticX4
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Well, not exactly while hiking or camping....more like at our back door...LOL

We use to live in an area ( we live in MT) that was secluded. We had a big field in our back yard and the Coyotes would come close to our house. It got a bit scary when they decided to start coming IN the yard. Then even more scary when they decided to do this in broad day light. They started to get real bad. I remember one day my little guy was sleepy and cranky, it was nap time, and his cries attracted 4 Coyotes to our back yard. I didnt know they were there till one started to howl. I looked back there when there was only 3. Then i seen a 4th. The one was calling others to come. I think they may have thought my son was an injured animal or something and they were calling others out for supper time.

It wasnt long after that we moved!!

Go to fullsize image         Go to fullsize image     Albino = A PERSON with ALBINISM. Put the person before the condition!!                                                          

MinniesMami
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM

a big stick

sticking out tongue
.::. My Wolf can kick your Vampire's Ass .::.

ElijahsMommy58
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM

When I was 4 I got attacked by a Canadian Goose. lol We were at the lake eating sandwiches and this goose (the size of me lol I was tiny) came chasing after me and had me up against our car. lol. Luckily my uncle was there & chased it away, but it kept trying to bite me. It was scary at the time...lol

Twilight-Icons   

Instead of a prince with a horse, I'd rather have a Vampire with a Volvo. :)

ChaoticX4
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:53 PM

We also had a mountain lion loose in our town!! (MT)

And when we lived in VA there was a black bear that wondered into our hospital through the ER doors.

Go to fullsize image         Go to fullsize image     Albino = A PERSON with ALBINISM. Put the person before the condition!!                                                          

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)