• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with hives??

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

While we were at the ballfield watching my son play t-ball, my 8 year old daughter decided it would be a good idea to collect a bunch of caterpillars, and build them a nest of leaves under her shirt, and let them crawl all over her.  (Oy, what a bone head!!)  So, it was no big surprise to me that she woke up with hives this morning. 

Anyone know any good remedies to deal with hives?? (I gave her a bath, gave her some anti-histamine medices, and some lotion to help with the itch.)  Anyone have any other secret tips?? 

Thanks ladies!!  :)

Blinkie MakerBlinkie Maker

soccer-3.gifl_fb2303c6f2d4aacba866db4761f405e1.gif picture by llmom1921

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cinderella22_17
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM

No tips but I do know that you CAN NOT mix an oral antihistamine with a topical on or you will od.

llmom1921
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Really?  Does Gold Bond's lotion count as a topical?   (Sorry if that sounds stupid, I've just never heard that before).

Quoting cinderella22_17:

No tips but I do know that you CAN NOT mix an oral antihistamine with a topical on or you will od.

KareemsMami
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Calamine lotion for the itching or hydrocortisone. And an oatmeal bath, maybe some benadryl.

Mommy To A Wonderful Little Man

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

luv2wahm
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I have problems with hives in the springtime. I was prescribed Zyrtec by my dr. Now you can buy it over the counter.

cinderella22_17
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I am not sure. I would check the active ingredients in both to make sure they are not the same thing. I think it mainly applies to Benadryl and Calamine lotion. But just double check to make sure.

I had to laugh at how your dd got hives, funny and cute at the same time. I bet she brings a lot of joy to your life.

llmom1921
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Oy!! You have no idea!! LOL!!  This isn't even the most bone headed thing she has done! haha!!  Thanks though :P

Quoting cinderella22_17:

I am not sure. I would check the active ingredients in both to make sure they are not the same thing. I think it mainly applies to Benadryl and Calamine lotion. But just double check to make sure.

I had to laugh at how your dd got hives, funny and cute at the same time. I bet she brings a lot of joy to your life.

Am17
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:42 PM

oatmeal bath is the main thing i can think of. hope she feels better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)