• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The birth of Taegen (for those interested, maybe graphic/tmi)

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:38 PM
  • 32 Replies

I wasn't sure if I was going to post in this group, since I recieved some very rude remarks once my birth plan was discovered. But I have made some friends in this group who may like to read the birth story :)

I woke up this morning (May 26th 2009), at around 430 am. Becka had slept fabulously, but I had awoken sporadically with contractions, and having to use the bathroom. It was normal though. For two weeks it had been like this on and off. I didn't think I was in labor.

A little while after waking I decided to get out of bed. The contractions were a bit more consistent and I began wondering if this was it! I didn't want to get my hopes up though.Since everytime I began to think "this is it" the contractions would just stop!

I came on Cafemom for a bit, and checked my facebook page. A friend of mine was awake so we chatted. She thought I was definitely in labor. The contractions were becoming more intense!

At 530 am I decided to warn Alex that he may need to call work and that I may be in labor. I didn't make him get out of bed until 6am when his alarm normally goes off for work. Things were still bearable and since Becka was asleep I decided not to bother him!

During this time I was breathing through them, and took a bath. I had some candles lit and a beautiful relaxing CD sent to me from my blessing way group. Those helped a lot!

I took a bath around 630 ish, my third one, and it didn't help. The contrax were UNBEARABLE. I thought I was losing control. I didn't think things were going so fast, I realize now that I was definitely in transition. Becka woke up to see me and it was so hard to focus with her trying to climb in the bath. The bath no longer eased the pain either, it was bad! She didn't seem bothered by me at all though, which was a surprise!

A few min later and I HAD to get out of the bath tub. It was making me sick! Alex was so sweet thought! I got on all fours, on the bed, with the towel sort of wrapped around me and he asked if there was anything he could do. I said I wanted a massage on my lower back, but as soon as he started I said "stop please".. it wasn't helping.

He called his work around 645 am... then went to use the restroom. I felt my body pushing and called for him. He was was in the bathroom so it took him a minute lol... While he was in the bathroom I could feel something down there so I reached my hand and felt the weirdest thing EVER, it was my bag of water. Completely intact.It was crazy! I almost thought the baby would be born in the caul because my water hadn't broke yet and I was definitely feeling the urge to push! The bag broke once it completely came out.. all over the bed!

We had none of our sheets down, or anything from the birth kit HAHA. Poor Alex! He comes in and I am on my knees on the side of the bed!... I am definitely vocal because I am pushing.. the loud grunts/borderline screaming made me feel so much better! I knew I couldn't be a quiet birther!!

Alex starts getting the pads under me, and getting things ready. He did everything so quickly, it was wonderful! 

Suddenly I had a major urge to push. I honestly thought I had to poop... I mean, it was intense but I felt like I needed to poo! It was so funny. I told Alex: "I think I am going to poop on the floor!, I'm sorry!" He was like "then poop then!" haha Instead, there was a head. I felt down and could feel the hair. OMG, no crowning.. just a head! It was amazing. I yelled to Alex "I think that's the head" and he said "yep, definitely the head and there is so much hair and it's dark!!" (Becka didn't have much).

In 2 more pushes, she was out. He said "it's a girl" and she started to cry! He helped me move my leg over the umbi cord... So I could hold her! It was just amazing. She was perfect and alert. I held her so close. I guess I was too in love to cry, no tears have fallen yet! but she seriously is beautiful. I can't believe it! I couldn't stop saying "we did it, oh my god, I did it... amazing, she's beautiful"....

There was a ton of blood, it soaked through all the pads/sheets onto the carpet! But all was ok with me. I had Alex get me the shepard's purse because it looked like a lot! I took a bit, not a full dose though (nasty stuff).

Becka came in to see her sister. She was watching a movie. She said "the baby came out your tummy mommy". It was adorable! She petted her head and hugged her. The umbilical cord was short, so nursing wasn't happening. We wrapped her up and it was so nice to be there as a family! We have no pictures though. Total labor was 2 hours and 48 minutes... Alex was getting Becka breakfast, and helping me. Haha, it's ok. I have amazing memories and we have one good picture of Becka meeting her sister but I can't post here. I am naked.

The placenta came a little bit later, and it was delivered all over the floor. I missed the pads completely. Becka didn't even care about it at all she was just in awe of her little sister.The chord was cut over an hour later, once it had completely stopped pulsing.

This birth was amazing. She is beautiful and is nursing like a pro. She has absolutely no jaundice. Her skin is pink, there is no yellow at all!

Taegen Savela was born at 7:18 am M,ay 26. She weighed 9 lbs 1 oz and  21 1/2 inches long!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corbyzmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Wow!!!  Congrats on the baby and you are much braver than me, lol.  I would be terrified to do that at home, and 9 lbs?  Sheesh!!!  Glad it all worked out okay for you.

lwalker270
by Lara on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:49 PM

What a wonderful birth story -- Congratulations! 

bergmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Awww...!  I love homebirth stories! Congratulations! My daughter was born at home- she was only 6 lbs though! LOL

deedee1324
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM

congrats! youre very brave...and very trusting in your husband for something like that. i could never do it. and my husband would prolly just pass out on me. lol

KareemsMami
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Aw congratulations! I love hearing these stories. I wish I could do an at home birth, but DF would tell me I have to clean it up, and besides that, I'm a baby when it comes to pain so I'll need that epidural!

Mommy To A Wonderful Little Man

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

nickiturner04
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Congrats :)

sassyscorpio85
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Wow you are amazing!! Did you go to the hospital afterwards?? Why did you choose not to have a midwife? sorry about the questions, just very curious!  Congrats on the new baby!

ps.iloveyou
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM

wow, great story. im glad everything went well!

celticreverie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I went 3 1/2 hours later to get my placenta looked at. It didn't look whole and I wanted to make sure none of it was retained.

I didn't want a midwife because I felt this was a journey I had to take. It was a very personal and spiritual one.. I trusted my body and birth completely and it was something I needed to do. Nothing against midwives at all, I just didn't feel I needed one.

I did have prenatal care with a midwife though.

Taegen went to the doc at 6 days old for a check up :)

Quoting sassyscorpio85:

Wow you are amazing!! Did you go to the hospital afterwards?? Why did you choose not to have a midwife? sorry about the questions, just very curious!  Congrats on the new baby!

anziomom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Yay for happy, healthy homebirths. Best wishes to you and yours!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)