• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mid-Wife or gyn/ob which do you pefer

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM
  • 5 Replies

With my first baby I saw a gyn/ob and my experence with him was good but very rushed at each appt. and with this baby that I am soon to be having I am seeing a mid-wife and the experence is so different I dont feel rushed one bit, they seem to care more about your experence then what the gyn/ob did.

I think that unless your high risk you should see a mid-wife because to me they make me feel so good about being pregnant and I would highly recamend a mid-wife.

What was your experence with each or one and what is your thoughts about each.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I detest every  mid-wife I've ever dealt with.. they were complete buttheads and rude. I am very high risk, and they seriously irked me when they didn't take me seriously. Yeah, my first was stillborn due to GD.. my high risk and the mid-wives were complete morons.

With my last pregnancy, I dealt with 2 MW and was NOT happy... most of the time I saw my OB though. I also had a high risk team as well. They were amazing and tested me for everything under the sun.. unlike my HR the first time. He did next to nothing. My regular team of OB's were awesome and I love them! Luckily, my tubes are tied and I don't have to worry about it again! Yippee!!!!!

You couldn't pay me enough to see a MW again. That's just my experience though. I know a ton of people that love them.

Claire

staci1103
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM

i've never used one but a few of my friends have and i have heard good and bad things...i think it depends on each persons personality. 

StarsChildren
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM

For prenatal care and normal check ups... a hb midwife... with my first and only child so far, I felt I needed her at the birth too. The only time I saw an obgyn was for my ultrasounds.

My experience with her was great, she is very well educated and has dilivered babies for years (estimated over 2000 births), shes dilivered the women as babies who are now seeing her for there own children. She takes the time to answer all the questions you have, and give you information you never knew was an option and set up birth classes and travel to your home for the birth no matter how far away you are and everything...absolutely amazing.

The obgyn I saw for my ultrasounds, he was the same, took the time to answer questions and talk with the people, hes older and has done breach and vbacs and all kinds of amazing things with his patients through the years (he would be the only one I would trust if I HAD to have an obgyn).

ayschia_markie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

At my doctor's office they recommend that you see all of the doctors just in case your doctor isn't the one on call. In addition, they recommend that you see the midwives just to, ya know... give you a different perspective other than just a doctor.

In my experience, I think midwives are total morons.

It really irks me when people are like "I feel so rushed at the doctor." Well, umm... hello? Do you think you are their only patient for the day? Did you write down your questions and bring them with you to ask the doctor or are you going to try and remember all the questions you wanted to ask and pull them from the sky? Do you just need someone to sit and talk to you, maybe just give you some attention? I mean really, what does that mean?

I have got one awesome doctor, wouldn't trade him for the world. If I don't have any questions I don't expect him to sit there and just chit chat with me, but that doesn't mean he is rushing out of the door. If he has taken your measurements, listened to the heartbeat, told you whats coming up at your next appointment, and asked if you have any questions... what else do you expect him to do?! When I do have questions he is extremely thorough and makes sure I understand every answer before he leaves the room.

tydaniel
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Oh I did not expect him to chit chat with me just to answer all of my ?'s Never had many but when I did he was very rushed to do so. I don't blame them they have very busy scheldules but I did expect him to be nice. Which he was but I think he thought of me as just another teen pregnecy which is understandable.

Quoting ayschia_markie:

At my doctor's office they recommend that you see all of the doctors just in case your doctor isn't the one on call. In addition, they recommend that you see the midwives just to, ya know... give you a different perspective other than just a doctor.

In my experience, I think midwives are total morons.

It really irks me when people are like "I feel so rushed at the doctor." Well, umm... hello? Do you think you are their only patient for the day? Did you write down your questions and bring them with you to ask the doctor or are you going to try and remember all the questions you wanted to ask and pull them from the sky? Do you just need someone to sit and talk to you, maybe just give you some attention? I mean really, what does that mean?

I have got one awesome doctor, wouldn't trade him for the world. If I don't have any questions I don't expect him to sit there and just chit chat with me, but that doesn't mean he is rushing out of the door. If he has taken your measurements, listened to the heartbeat, told you whats coming up at your next appointment, and asked if you have any questions... what else do you expect him to do?! When I do have questions he is extremely thorough and makes sure I understand every answer before he leaves the room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)