Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's dicuss PERSONAL female safety...I mean is a woman really gonna be able to take down a 6'+ guy?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM
  • 38 Replies

spin off of an earlier post...

Some people mentioned getting those tae kwon do and personal safety courses that teach you how to bring down someone attacking you.

But is it really feesible for like say an average woman 5 foot 4, who is 120 lbs to take down a 230 lb 6 foot 2 guy with big, beefy, muscle arms? I mean really?

I see COPS who are trained and buff on tv, when a skinny or big guy is on meth or something and they take like 6 cops to bring him down and multiple zaps with the taser.

My stepdad growing up used to wrestle us, he was also a wife abuser...but anyway, I was a teen, I could never take him down...he was 6 foot 4 and strong as hell. He was thin, but strong. I couldn't move an arm on him no matter how much I lifted weights...

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2gud2btrue
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM

the best advice i have ever heard:

go for the eyes.  just seriously do whatever you can to gouge his eyes out.  think how much it hurts just getting your eye poked.  that should as least slow him down to where you might be able to run.

bite.  bite whatever is closest until you feel your teeth touch together.

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM

It's not always about brawn. There are specific pressure points and certain moves that would make anyone go down, despite their size.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

bablondie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM

My dad showed me some moves...if you're getting choked  to use your arms to push away from the inside of the choke hold and drop to the ground with all your weight. Also to go for the kidney punch (kidneys in the back of back/hip area). And to punch in the adam's apple.

But I swear even those moves see iffy on a guy all pumped up on Meth or something.

Quoting 2gud2btrue:

the best advice i have ever heard:

go for the eyes.  just seriously do whatever you can to gouge his eyes out.  think how much it hurts just getting your eye poked.  that should as least slow him down to where you might be able to run.

bite.  bite whatever is closest until you feel your teeth touch together.

two4one
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM

When play wrestling with someone, you aren't going to go completely nuts on them. But if someone is really trying to hurt you, go for thier eyes, the nose, jab the base of the neck... anywhere real damage can be done.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Mom_to_Owen
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM

You know- you are partly right. I would panic and not know what to do.  Kick him in the balls?

virgosuperstar
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

First off, I am only 5'1 (will not disclose my weight) my mom was 4'11 and tiny...She used to tell me the bigger they are the harder they fall...the best technique when a big man is attacking is to get the hardest kick you can right in the babymaker, when they are doubled over then the knee to the face comes next, I know it works, i had seen my mom do it once to her ex husband who decided to beat her, she did it and it worked. he was 6'1 and 220 pds. I took a free class once for safety crap, and honestly it does not matter if you take it or not or how big your attacker is compared to you. When your life is in danger, your instinct for survival kicks in and trust me, you will find any way to protect yourself. Thats just my opinion. Now my DH and I wrestle around alot and he is a big guy 6'1 and 280pds, I have found ways to get him on the ground when playing around....the pinky grab is an awesome way to do it, grab the pinky and bend it as far back as you can and you will have them on the ground, now i dont do it so hard to my DH cause i dont wanna hurt him, but it still works....

ttc

Valerie

Wife to Mustafa since 3-9-1997

&

Mommy to Autumn 10-12-2004

bablondie

This is TMI, but..

My gfriend and I in h/s talked about ways of getting out of attacker's holds or if they were trying to rape you or something. She mentioned she would keep a poopie and then poop her pants and hope he'd run for the hills. (omg that's terrible).

Anyway, we talked about pretending we had STD's and maybe even mentally disabled or crazy. My mom says that Carol Burnette was attacked once and he was gonna rape her...so she acted like a nutcase crazy woman and it scared him off.

amymarie0315

I can kill a guy with my thumb :)

Thanks to my wonderfully educated in martial arts and interested in personal safety husband :)

bablondie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Pinky grab...good one!

This is making me want to do some "lessons' with my daughter when she gets home...

Quoting virgosuperstar:

First off, I am only 5'1 (will not disclose my weight) my mom was 4'11 and tiny...She used to tell me the bigger they are the harder they fall...the best technique when a big man is attacking is to get the hardest kick you can right in the babymaker, when they are doubled over then the knee to the face comes next, I know it works, i had seen my mom do it once to her ex husband who decided to beat her, she did it and it worked. he was 6'1 and 220 pds. I took a free class once for safety crap, and honestly it does not matter if you take it or not or how big your attacker is compared to you. When your life is in danger, your instinct for survival kicks in and trust me, you will find any way to protect yourself. Thats just my opinion. Now my DH and I wrestle around alot and he is a big guy 6'1 and 280pds, I have found ways to get him on the ground when playing around....the pinky grab is an awesome way to do it, grab the pinky and bend it as far back as you can and you will have them on the ground, now i dont do it so hard to my DH cause i dont wanna hurt him, but it still works....

bablondie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM

oooh what can you do with your thumb!????

What if the attacker also knows martial arts? Or has a weapon?

Quoting amymarie0315:

I can kill a guy with my thumb :)

Thanks to my wonderfully educated in martial arts and interested in personal safety husband :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)