• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dry Socket anyone?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I had my tooth pulled last thursay and I was just wondering if anyone had any information on how long it's going to hurt and make my mouth feel wierd.  I've never had a tooth pulled before and everyone is telling me that i'm going to get dry socket.  And that's not something that I'm ready to deal with.  So can anyone help me?  It doesn't really hurt in the morning but pain usually comes around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  When will the pain stop?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sassyscorpio85
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM

If I were you, I'd call my dentist. You might need an antibiotic.

bribribri
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM

It'll be pretty bad for the first couple days. As long as you keep hot/cold liquids off of it, don't drink through a straw, no carbonated beverages for a couple days you shouldn't get a dry socket...but sometimes it still happens. You'll know if it does. It'll be constant, throbbing pain that doesn't go away when you take your pain meds. If it happens, you need to go back to the dentist and they'll put a medicated dressing on it, and change it every couple days. It REALLY sucks. Most of the pain should be gone within about a week, though, given that you don't get a dry socket. Good luck, and feel better! =]

.::i absolutely adore::.
|my husband and son|

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

KRISSH
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I HATE A DRY SOCKET ..U WILL IN PANE FOR A WILE..ME IT WAS LIKE 3/4 WEEKS..CALL DENTEST..GOOD LUCK..

Leahmaria7981
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM

If it's been a week and it still hurts you might already have a dry socket. I had 2 teeth pulled when I had braces. It only hurt for a couple days, no dry sockets. I had my wisdom teeth taken out a couple of years ago (2 cut, 2 pulled). 3 of them quit hurting after a couple days and a week later one was still hurting. I called the dentist and I had a dry socket in that one. It wasn't that bad. You just go to the dentist and they pack some medicated gauze or something in there and take it out acouple days later. It makes it feel soooo much better, but it tastes horrible. It tastes kinda like cloves and everything you eat and drink taste like it and just about when the taste is gone they packed it again...lol.

Do you smoke? Have you been sucking on anything (and don't go and get all dirty minded on me...lol) like straws or popsicles or anything like that? A dry socket is when the blood clot come out and is usually caused by sucking on something.

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I got dry socket last summer after having all four of my wisdom teeth cut out. It was NOT a fun experience.

Here's articles with tips on how to prevent it as well as the symptoms if you do already have it. If you do have it, contact the dentist that performed it. They may want to prescribe an antibiotic, and most likely, more pain meds. They may want to pack it as well.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Steps-to-Prevent-Dry-Socket-after-Dental-Extraction&id=348296

http://www.health-directories.com/teeth-drysocket.html

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Heartlight617
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:52 PM
A dry socket is extremely painful! It's like half of your head wants to blow wide open! The dentist will put oil of cloves on cotton gauze and put it on the area. Do you have any cloves? Ground cloves, mix into olive oil and put on your extraction area. Do call your dentist in case you are getting a bacterial infection, as opposed to dry socket. Good luck! Were you advised to sleep in an elevated position, and use ice packs if necessary?
Carol
Erika560
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM

If you can see where the tooth was, check and see if the blood clot is still in there.  If the blood clot is gone then you have dry socket and if you go back to the dentist they will pack it with a medication that will take the pain away and put you on an antibiotic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)