Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you stop a biter???

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

I know this has probably been asked a billion times...but how do you do it?  I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of with my 21 month old DS, but he will not stop.  I have ignored it, seperated the kids, put him in time out, poured attention over the victim, given him lemon juice, lime juice, and vinegar (he likes all three), I have popped him on the mouth, the butt, the hand, I have bitten back, NOTHING works!!!  Any other ideas?  I know about soap, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Honii
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM

What about something like hot sauce?  I'm clueless hun, never had a biter.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I won't do hot sauce because it can cause actual burns, but thanks for trying!

Quoting Honii:

What about something like hot sauce?  I'm clueless hun, never had a biter.

ZachNHannahsMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:58 PM

As much as you don't want to hear this, you're going to have to stay consistant with whatever method you chose and just wait it out. Many moms on here claim all they had to do was bite them back once and they never did it again. I don't believe in this and as you can tell...it is not effective with all kids. Aside from watching her cues, finding out why she is biting and being extremely proactive to recognize when she is about to bite and intervening....you may buy her some books about biting from Barnes & Nobles. Also, any time she or anyone gets hurt....exaggerate what an "owie" is. If she falls and bumps her chin...tell her "Oh, honey looks like you got an owie. I bet that doesn't feel good at all does it?" Make her connect "owies" with pain/discomfort. Incorporate this into her biting. When she bites, pick up the victim. Make your LO come see that she gave him/her an "owie", now they are hurting and it is NOT ok to cause others pain. (If you say this line...you can NOT bite her back!!) Cuddle the victim, ice it if needed and then go get her. Time out is more effective IMO that a hit on the butt or a bite. Make her sit there and see you having fun with the victim. Make her see that she is missing out on the good times by having to sit there. If she tries to get up, put her back. When she gets out afer serving her time...send her to apologize.

I honestly think that your problem here is you are not consistant with dealing with it. Since you have tried everything, you aren't sticking to ONE consequence, so she's not worried. If she knows each and everytime timeout is going to happen, she'll eventually get it. It's not going to stop in a day or two if it's become habit. It's gonna take awhile. They say it takes 21 days to break a bad habit.  

ZachNHannahsMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Oops! Your LO is a boy not a girl, sorry. 

POOKA123
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I came to the post for help, cause i have a biter too, and she is only 12 months. I hope it does not last too long.

POOKA123
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Quoting ZachNHannahsMom:

As much as you don't want to hear this, you're going to have to stay consistant with whatever method you chose and just wait it out. Many moms on here claim all they had to do was bite them back once and they never did it again. I don't believe in this and as you can tell...it is not effective with all kids. Aside from watching her cues, finding out why she is biting and being extremely proactive to recognize when she is about to bite and intervening....you may buy her some books about biting from Barnes & Nobles. Also, any time she or anyone gets hurt....exaggerate what an "owie" is. If she falls and bumps her chin...tell her "Oh, honey looks like you got an owie. I bet that doesn't feel good at all does it?" Make her connect "owies" with pain/discomfort. Incorporate this into her biting. When she bites, pick up the victim. Make your LO come see that she gave him/her an "owie", now they are hurting and it is NOT ok to cause others pain. (If you say this line...you can NOT bite her back!!) Cuddle the victim, ice it if needed and then go get her. Time out is more effective IMO that a hit on the butt or a bite. Make her sit there and see you having fun with the victim. Make her see that she is missing out on the good times by having to sit there. If she tries to get up, put her back. When she gets out afer serving her time...send her to apologize.

I honestly think that your problem here is you are not consistant with dealing with it. Since you have tried everything, you aren't sticking to ONE consequence, so she's not worried. If she knows each and everytime timeout is going to happen, she'll eventually get it. It's not going to stop in a day or two if it's become habit. It's gonna take awhile. They say it takes 21 days to break a bad habit.  

WOW i can used this info, Thanks, I like it.

LEJOLIE
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:07 PM

My son started biting awhile back. ( NOT ME ,HIS SISTER)  I FLIKCKED HIS LIPS once kinda soft to show him what will happen if he continues.He did it again and i flicked them harder this time . It stopped completely. 

jmlgb
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM

We had to ignore my dd when she did it. That is the only thing that finally worked. My BFF's daughter was a big biter....until she bit my dad. He has dentures and can't tell how hard he is really biting....he bit her back (didn't break skin or anything) and she NEVER bit anyone again. (not that I condone this, i was 10 at the time) 

mamaoftwins9197
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I had no idea it took 21 days to stop a bad habit!  I have not tried the lemon juice, lime juice, or vinegar more than once because he likes them.  I have only bit him back once or twice, because it seems to bother me more than him.  I have tried all of the other remedies for one week at a time...this behavior has been going on since he was about 14 months old.  Thanks.

Quoting ZachNHannahsMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)