Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom told breast feeding violates ban on food and drink at local pool!!!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
  • 245 Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520621,00.html

Mom Told Breast-Feeding Violates Pool's Ban on Food, Drink

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A woman breast-feeding her 3-month-old son at a public pool was told to stop because she was breaking the pool’s rules that ban food or drink near the water, London’s Daily Mail reported.

Laura Whotton of Carrington in Nottingham, England, was swimming at the John Carroll Leisure Center in Nottingham when she decided to breast-feed her son Joshua.

“You are in a public area, you can’t breast-feed here because there are children here,” she said a lifeguard told her.

Whotton said she was offered a private room to feed Joshua, but she declined the offer, because she wanted to keep an eye on her older son Thomas, who was still swimming in the pool.

Whotton, 26, filed a complaint with the Nottingham City Council.

“The council’s policy is to enable mothers to breast-feed in all council centers, including leisure centers,” said a spokesman for the local authority. “The only exception to this rule at leisure centers is in the swimming pool and surrounding area, where in the interest of safety and hygiene, there is a policy of no food and drink. The rule also covers breast-feeding, as it would bottle feeding of a baby.”

The council has since offered a full apology and amended its breast-feeding policy after the incident.

Click here to read more on this story from the Daily Mail.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have EVER heard!

Breastfeeding, Non Vaccinating, Doula, Child Birth Advocate, VBAC supporting, Blogging, Cafe Mom Addict.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CTRedSoxMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM

bump

Breastfeeding, Non Vaccinating, Doula, Child Birth Advocate, VBAC supporting, Blogging, Cafe Mom Addict.

CTRedSoxMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM

bump

pisces_chick89
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM

and so whats wrong with that?

****awaits patiently for Buffy to come and stake the Cullen freaks***

avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I love your siggy. It cracked me up!

Quoting pisces_chick89:

edwardsgirl

if they don't allow formula then they don't have to accommodate breastfeeding mothers. You can not have exceptions for some and not for all.

CTRedSoxMom

banging head into wall

Quoting pisces_chick89:

pisces_chick89

aww thanks

Quoting avi_nevaeh_mama:

I love your siggy. It cracked me up!

Quoting pisces_chick89:

****awaits patiently for Buffy to come and stake the Cullen freaks***

LiquidAmethyst
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM

that's really stupid *insert eyerolling sweetpea here*

i live in argentina and you just see boobs everywhere with babies hanging off of them and nobody looks twice.  the USA is so weird

AJSMOMMY0508

That's a load of bull.  It's not like she had an open container or anything.  Rules like that SHOULD NOT apply to infants.

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, ERF, EH, formula feeding, self weaning, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one, that includes you.

Joslyns_mommy

I can't believe some people still have this thought that bfing should be hidden in a private room! I would have said that same thing! If she was covered and no one could see... what the heck is the big deal?!

Jacky

www.ourstickybean.blogspotcom

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)