Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single mom's.. Are you a single mom if your married? Spinoff to married single mom***update in red***

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM
  • 307 Replies

Poll

Question: are you considered a single mom if your married and husband is absent every now and then?

Options:

yes. they can be single since there husbands aren't home

no.. unless they are doing it alone icome included then no

other.. since there is always an other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 348

View Results

So single mom's who are actually fully single not married at all. Who do it all alone all day everyday.. Do you consider someone who is married who's husband is absent every now and then a single mom?

Do you have any feeling for when someone is married and they say they are a single mom?

This is a spinoff.. and i want all to answer.. My sisters husband goes out of town once a month and she tell's me..Ohhh I'm a single mom this week.. it irritates me sooo bad.. Maybe I'm wrong for feeling that way..

I can only speak for me, but I know when married mom's are saying they feel like single mom's they say it when they are tired and when there taking care of there kids alone.. they are saying it when there not happy abou there situation.. about how there husbands are away or work to much.. of course there not happy about being alone for weeks or months  and when you say.. ohhh I feel like a "single mom" you make it sound like it's some horrible thing. Most of us single mom's didn't ask for our situation's but I can guarantee we are tired at the end of the day, but we are still so happy with our lifes. So married mom's when your feeling lonely or unhappy about your situation please don't compair it to "single mom's" you make it see awfull.. and well it's not..

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jademom07
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Married does not equal single.  If you have a dedicated SO or DH then you can not say you are single.  If you have a SO or DH that does not help, that means that you are married or with a lazy guy. 

megan479
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM

no, i dont think you are single if you are married, hence the term "married"

mom_of_2_in_ny
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I'm married, and I often feel like a single mom, because my husband works so many crazy hours, but I do NOT consider myself a single mom.   My best friend is a single mom~ she lives on her own, with her son (who is autistic) her husband is a dumb ass drug user who has been in a coma for over 1 yr (she left him 7 months before he got hurt and fell in a coma), works and supports her and her son on her own.  Who am I to try and compare myself to a single mom.  I give TONS of credit to ALL REAL single moms.

justinejoy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Its just a feeling some women get when they do feel alone a lot.  Military wives and other wives who have men in professions that keep them away from the home for weeks and months at a time.  No they are not single, they don't have ALL the burden - but I bet after awhile you do feellike a single mother - even if you are married. 

My bffs husband is just a lazy selfish man, and never helps with anything, except go to a minimal job.  She says she feels like a single mom and it used to bug me, but after I spent two weeks with them at the lake house, I totally understood what she meant.  He is right there and does NOTHING. 

Its just a feeling, not an actual title.  No need to get our panties in a bunch about it, idk.

Justine butterfly on head  

zianneaaliyah
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Being a Navy wife, it's times it sure as hell feels like it. 

People who are in relationships, but aren't married, why are they considered single?

ZachNHannahsMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM

You know very well they don't mean that in a literal sense. Of course, technically they are not "single" since they are married. But when you are alone, dealing with all the parental and household responsibilites bc SO is not around, whether he is deadbeat in a bar or a hardworking man or even serving this country....you FEEL like you are SINGLE. MANY married moms say "I feel like a single mom" bc they do. When you're carrying all the burden on your shoulders, doing it all, feeling all the stress, not having someone to count on who should be there.....how else do you want them to describe how they feel?

stephy_85
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Yes I think you can be a married single parent. Hubby is in the army so he deploys for a year at a time at least. While he is gone I am completely on my own no help or anything. Yeah we have his income but due to issues my son was having this past deployment I became a SAHM, so we only had one income coming in. Now whne he is home no I'm not a single parent but yeah when he is gone I do consider myself to be a single parent.

Proud Army Wife~SAHM~Pro Vaxing~America Love It Or Leave It~If You Don't Support Our Troops Feel Free to Stand In Front Of Them~The Army Isn't The Only Thing That Makes My Man Scream Hooah~

mommy2holley
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I understand it's a feeling that "married mom's" feel when there husbands aren't here, but really how could you really understand if your not really a single mom.. How can you really feel what single mom's feel at the end of the day.. If you don't know what's it really like.. I have been both married and now a single mom and my thought process now is so much different..

Quoting justinejoy:

Its just a feeling some women get when they do feel alone a lot.  Military wives and other wives who have men in professions that keep them away from the home for weeks and months at a time.  No they are not single, they don't have ALL the burden - but I bet after awhile you do feellike a single mother - even if you are married. 

My bffs husband is just a lazy selfish man, and never helps with anything, except go to a minimal job.  She says she feels like a single mom and it used to bug me, but after I spent two weeks with them at the lake house, I totally understood what she meant.  He is right there and does NOTHING. 

Its just a feeling, not an actual title.  No need to get our panties in a bunch about it, idk.

hurleydoll18
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:11 PM

It's not single in my book BUT I did feel like a single mom during my husband's 15 month deployment and I raised Caleb for the first 11 months without his physical presence.  He was paying the bills though so I wasn't doing that by myself and that does make a huge difference.  My mom was a single mom throughout most my childhood so I understand what it is but I do feel like one during deployments.  Going away once a month is nothing compared to 15 months...lol

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM

No they aren't- I can see why they feel that way when it comes to the kids but the fact is I stay home with my children and even if my husband was gone till 10pm every night I still don't have to work for money. He pays the bills and I take care of the kids. ( that is our deal- HA) If I had no husband I would be working all day and taking care of the kids, handling everything on my own with no help or moral support.

My Husband isn't the most involved man but he does offer me support emotionally and of course he works to pay our bills.

Erica

preview imagepreview image

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)