Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

* pregnant working mamas * how far along were u when u went on maternity leave from work?...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM
  • 36 Replies

i just went back to work from being a sahm for the past 2.5 years. and my former supervisor asked me to come back and work for her. i have a busy 17 month old son, and i am 23 weeks pregnant. my family and my hubby thinks that i should not work... but i enjoy it. - i am an office manager at a real estate co. with a staff of 5. my job is really cake....im thinking about taking it all the way...:)

i have had an easy pregnancy thus far. plus i love my job, my supervisor assures my job if i decide to return after leave. 

just curious about other moms out there... how far along were u when u went on maternity leave.  

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
evaleesmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM

i worked till the day before i was induced. and had i not been induced i would have worked up until i had him.. i have an easy job too lol

punksjs
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I plan on working til the day I give birth if I can. I write compute programs so I'm pretty much chained to my desk and it's really easy. Hardest part is staying awake lol.

Jademom07

I worked up until the week before I gave birth but only because my feet and ankles were so swelled that the doc wanted me off my feet. 

Phatpatswife

With my DD who's 8, I did private nursing 12 hours a day and I stopped working on Sept. 29th and she was born the next day!!!!

With my ds who's 18 months, I was put on bedrest at 35 weeks from high blood pressure and they induced me two weeks early.

I think you should go as long as you feel comfortable. I went stir crazy being home on bedrest so I would rather work right up until I deliver with any future babies, as long as my health and the baby aren't at risk.

sweetsuthern
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Same here. I worked with two of my pregnancies up until the day. The OB is usually good about making that call.

Quoting evaleesmom:

i worked till the day before i was induced. and had i not been induced i would have worked up until i had him.. i have an easy job too lol

jmlgb
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

My last day of work was the day I went into labor. 

spicymama.sc
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

i plan on working up until i have her. and believe me...if my job wasnt cake... i would not be working, unless i really have too...:)

Quoting evaleesmom:

NikkiClink
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I was 34 weeks, but that's only cause my water broke and I was stuck in the hospital for 11 days until he came early. I sit all day and type, I'll get up once in a while, but it's not often. I had planned on working until I went into labor pretty much, but my son had other intentions.

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM

My OBs wanted to put me on bedrest at 32 weeks. I started having contractions at 28 weeks, but they wouldn't give me anything to stop them since I wasn't in active labor. Then ds dropped straight onto my sciatic nerve at 32 weeks and I could barely walk for the rest of my pregnancy. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to take off that much time. I finally agreed to it at 38 weeks when it took me literally 5 minutes to walk from the couch to the bathroom (20 feet, max). I was on my feet for 8 hours at work, so not being able to walk/stand wasn't very good.

If you've had an easy pregnancy, your job is 'cake' (lol) and you enjoy your job that much, work as long as you want!

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I was military with DS. We didn't start maternity leave until the baby was born. I did, however, take my vacation time before giving birth. I took a month off that covered through the time of when my due date was.

Because I worked with other pregnant females, my maternity leave was cut short when too many were on maternity leave.

If you want to work until you give birth, then do so. That probably will give you more time after giving birth to bond with the baby since you didn't use the days up before giving birth.

Good luck! I'm a SAHM this time around.

I'm a survivor of child abuse, Pagan living Witch, co-sleeping, baby carrying, cloth diapering, early potty training, no vaccinating, circumcising, homesteading, extended rear facing, breastfeeding, no spanking, no screaming, Kazdin Method using, sign language using, pro-life, meat eating, handfasted to Jon (Mar 14, 06), head strong mommy of a baby boy who is advanced (Sep 25, 07), a step-son with PDD-NOS Autism (Jun 11, 04), due with a new baby boy Aug 5, 09.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)