Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Ben's Birth Story (for those interested) :)

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

Well, it all started on Saturday. I had the baby fair to do for ICAN and I could not miss it. So I got up all bright and early and trooped off to man my table from 10-2. Well by noon time I was having contractions. They weren't bad or unbearable. Just there. So I finished up the fair, got adjusted by my Chiropractor (who was running the booth next to me) and went on my way. By the time I got to my car, the girls who were helping me all told me I had NO color in my face and forced me to eat some candy.

So I packed the car up, ate candy and went on my way home. I laid down to relax and try and get some sleep. I woke up and my contractions were closer. More like 7 minutes apart, but getting closer. I called my doula and told her all that was going on, and kind of put her "on call" for the night Well 2 hours later I called her and told her now I was at 3 minutes apart, and they were getting intense. So she wrapped up dinner, took a shower and headed to our house.
I called my midwives and they told me to stay home as long as I could. Once I got to the hospital I would be "on the clock" so that is what I did.

I labored at home, my husband got me musically through my contractions, my best friend massaged my lower back (I had horrible back labor) and my doula was helping me with my visualization and relaxation.

Around midnight we decided it was time to go to the hospital. Met my midwife there and I was only 2cm and -2 station and 70% effaced. Which was surprising to all of us because of the intensity. At that point we all figured the best thing to do would be to hook me up to an IV because I needed some extra fluids. I was a little dehydrated because I was worrying about labor and contractions then drinking.

A couple hours went by with no more progress so I requested some pain medication so that i could sleep. Because by now it was 5am. (The night before I had a family emergency that kept me up until almost 3am leaving me with about 5 hours of sleep including my afternoon nap at this point)
I slept until around 10am, my midwife came in, checked me, I was 3cm dialated, that was it! My contractions went from 1 minute apart to 3-4 minutes apart. Something had to be wrong.  With such an intense labor, strong contractions, and my body not dialating like it should, something was up. (Come to find out Benjamin would not "drop" and his head wasn't applying pressure to my cervix to help)

So my midwife broke my water in hopes that it would move Ben right down, and it didn't at all. We talked, and she said she would come back around 12:30 (which would be about the 24 hour mark) and see how progressed I was and take it from there.

I tried to do everything I could to get this baby to bust a move down.
12:30pm came, and my midwife checked me again, 4cm and my cervix was starting to swell, which is not good. I also was starting to have some bad feelings, mothers intuition, all this time, all these feelings, something was just not right.

I started to feel worried, sick, scared, not safe at all anymore. We discussed what could be causing these things to happen, what the problem could be, and my midwife and I then called my husband, best friend, and doula back in to discuss our choice.
I chose to not continue to labor anymore and go for the repeat cesarean. Everyone made sure that this was the choice I really wanted and given the situation, and everything going on, we decided it would be best. (I was scared out of my mind that something was seriously wrong from the signs my body was giving as well as the baby, I am not a martyr and I was not about to put either of us in harms was so that I could have a VBAC)

My midwife called the on call OB and they set up an OR.
At 1:59pm Benjamin Emil  was born, 7 pounds 3 oz, 20 inches, and STUCK! He was direct posterior, so instead of his head coming into the pelvis like it normally should he was trying to look up and come down at the same time. Which is why he wouldn't move down. All my intuition that something was wrong was confirmed. He was born bruised and battered. But perfectly healthy. (He literally had finger prints on his head from the OB/GYN having to pull him out, because he was just that stuck)

The OB/GYN's (on call and resident) that did the surgery were awesome, they removed a huge cycloid (sp?) that was in my original scar and also removed scarred tissue that was inside my uterus before closing up. My midwife was able to be there with me, as well as my husband, and explained everything they were doing, in detail so I understood why everything took as much time as it did.  (Totally an example of some of the few and far between OB/GYN's, nothing like my first from my first son's birth!)

Once DH went with Ben to the nursery, she stayed with me, and held my hand and held my puke bowl too.

The resident took care of all my post surgery care, he was great also, if I ever need an OB/GYN again, he is the one I would look up once he is done with his residency. He will make an amazing doctor and I left him rave reviews.

Breastfeeding, Non Vaccinating, Doula, Child Birth Advocate, VBAC supporting, Blogging, Cafe Mom Addict.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Phatpatswife
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Congratulations momma! I'm so happy for you. And what a beautiful story. There is nothing that can compare to a mother's intuition.

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM

What a rough day you had. Congrats on your new arrival. Welcome to the world little Ben.

MrsMouse
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Congrats & good luck!

Hrivera5
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Congrats on your baby!  I am sorry you didn't get the vaginal birth you wanted, but at least everyone is happy and healthy.  Its great that you had some intuition and went with your gut. 

Enjoy your new baby! 

I always hope that I don't have to have a c-section, but I guess sometimes you have no choice.  All the information you have posted helped me get some knowledge and I know it helped others.  I hope that you keep educating women.  And now you can tell them about when you absolutly need a section I guess!

Congrats again, and getting a healthy baby is all that matters!

LiquidAmethyst
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:44 PM

i'm sorry you couldn't VBAC.  congratulations on your new, stubborn baby boy!

i had a c-section with my DS because he was breech, and he had fingerprint bruises on his leg where they had to pull him out.  he had one leg down in my pelvis and the other leg stuck under his chin, he was in a horrible postion!  i hope with my next i can VBAC.

again CONGRATULATIONS!  you should get some pics up when you can:-)

CTRedSoxMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Thanks.
Had this been a VBAC or just a normal second vaginal birth attempt, it wouldn't have mattered. The way he was positioned, even after all I had done for ideal fetal positioning, it wouldn't have changed much.
This is just one of those situations that falls into the 10-15% of c-sections that are actually medically necessary.   :)

Quoting Hrivera5:

Congrats on your baby!  I am sorry you didn't get the vaginal birth you wanted, but at least everyone is happy and healthy.  Its great that you had some intuition and went with your gut. 

Enjoy your new baby! 

I always hope that I don't have to have a c-section, but I guess sometimes you have no choice.  All the information you have posted helped me get some knowledge and I know it helped others.  I hope that you keep educating women.  And now you can tell them about when you absolutly need a section I guess!

Congrats again, and getting a healthy baby is all that matters!

Breastfeeding, Non Vaccinating, Doula, Child Birth Advocate, VBAC supporting, Blogging, Cafe Mom Addict.

CTRedSoxMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM

bump

starrynight819
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:48 PM

so uhm, wheres the pictures!!

congratulations, and a mothers intuition is NEVER wrong. I'm glad you made the responsible and safer choice (in your case at least)

lol sorry if you don't want to post the pictures for privacy reasons. (can understand i've heard horror stories)

pregnancy

ShadowLark
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM

That is COOL!  Sorry he got stuck, but that's still an awesome birth story.  Maybe number 3 can be your VBAC!

CTRedSoxMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I KNOW there are some people sitting around waiting for the pictures (stalkers of mine) but what the hell, my son is beautiful. LOL

Quoting starrynight819:

so uhm, wheres the pictures!!

congratulations, and a mothers intuition is NEVER wrong. I'm glad you made the responsible and safer choice (in your case at least)

lol sorry if you don't want to post the pictures for privacy reasons. (can understand i've heard horror stories)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)