• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you kidding me???

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM
  • 24 Replies

I took my kids to the free school lunch at an elementry close by our house.  My kids finished all their food, my daughter didn't want her juice right then and only drank 1/2 of her milk so I told her I would take them home for her to have later.  I placed them on the cup holder on my stroller.  As we were walking out the door I hear a lady  yelling "excuse me, excuse me!"  I turn to see why and this lunch lady was running up to me, yes running.  I said "yes"  She says "you can't take those drinks with you!"  I said "are you kidding me?"  She says "no, you need to throw them away!"   I said "so you would rather me throw 1/2 of a milk and a full juice away then take them for my daughter to drink later?"  She says "yes, the garbage is over there."   I told her "I would not throw perfectly good drinks away."   She said "fine I will" holding her hands out."

I couldn't believe it! Have you ever heard of anything so weird?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KellyOh72
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM

That is rather odd. Maybe there is some kind of rule about food and drink leaving the premises. Still weird though.

HaleysMama07
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

That's so stupid! And wasteful!

momof6and15
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

this might be a dumb question but does your kid go to that school?

ashandryzmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Quoting KellyOh72:

That is rather odd. Maybe there is some kind of rule about food and drink leaving the premises. Still weird though.

If there was a rule she could have walked up and said that there is a rule about it.  I thought the way she said things to me it was strange!

kgsharber
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I used to work in a school cafeteria as a manager & yes they throw it ALL away because it is against some Federal guideline.

Even food & milk at the end of the year that is not used. I asked if we could donate to a shelter or something & they said no, it's against the law.

ashandryzmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Quoting momof6and15:

this might be a dumb question but does your kid go to that school?

No, my kids don't.  Why?  Their school is not doing lunches in the summer.

bellalenise
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Public school food programs only allow the food to be consumed by students. To ensure this, they do not allow food to be taken home. Kids aren't even supposed to share anything but most people turn a blind eye to that one.

ashandryzmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Quoting kgsharber:

I used to work in a school cafeteria as a manager & yes they throw it ALL away because it is against some Federal guideline.

Even food & milk at the end of the year that is not used. I asked if we could donate to a shelter or something & they said no, it's against the law.

Wow, how strange.  You would think it would be much better to donate it since many families don't have enough food.

ashandryzmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Quoting bellalenise:

Public school food programs only allow the food to be consumed by students. To ensure this, they do not allow food to be taken home. Kids aren't even supposed to share anything but most people turn a blind eye to that one.

I understand that, but it was for my daughter not me.

MaxsLovingMommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I work for Head Start and the children can not leave with their snack if they haven't finished it. The parents either have to wait or they have to throw it away. We can get in trouble if it leaves. It is a hazard~ex: if they choke on the way home, we are liable because we gave it to them and they can sue us. I know it's crazy but that's why. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)