• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wachovia Teller steals $400 from our acct!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

Two weeks ago my DH went to Wachovia to deposit the weeks commission, $400 cash. The bank lobby was closed so he went through the drive through. The teller took his card and the cash and put it into SOMEONE ELSES ACCT, if my DH hadn't looked at the receipt she gave him he would have driven off and never even know. Well DH looks at the receipt and says, "This isn't my acct what did you do." She got VERY uncomfortable said she was sorry took his card and "fixed" the mistake. Gave him another receipt and the card. This new receipt was for our acct and showed the 400 deposit. WELL, when he gets home she had taken the cash BACK OUT of our acct. You couldn't see the transaction anywhere. We called customer service and they had NO RECORD of any deposit or anything! My DH was PISSED, they basically told him we were lying and never made the deposit. When DH said that had the receipt for the transaction they told us to go back to the bank where we made the deposit and "try" to talk to them. The next day he had to take off from work go to the bank 40mins away and fight it out with them. They didn't believe him until he pulled out the receipt because everything was ERASED by this teller in their system. FINNALY they refunded the money and apologized.  NEVER EVER THROW AWAY THOSE RECIEPTS FROM THE BANK WHEN YOU MAKE A DEPOSIT BECAUSE TELLERS CAN STEAL THE CASH. They said they were going to do an internal investiagtion or something, I hope they do, who knows how many people she has done that to!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Media MEDIA MEDIA!

trz031407
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Wow!! I have GOT to tell my mom about this, she is a manager at a Wachovia. Wow!!!

OP, sorry this happened to you BTW. I will definitly keep my reciepts & tell my boyfriend to as well since we usually have to do the drive-up teller!!!

NFLplayerswife
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I'm so sorry this happened to you :( I've actually heard of this happening quite a bit, with other banks though. I'm glad you got the money back!

4mamapike
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

The very same thing happened to me and my husband. We deposited a 2000.00 paycheck and the teller~being new~put it back into the county's acct. She switched the acct numbers...it took 2 weeks to clear the mistake and they wrote letters to all the merchants we had sent checks to to pay the bills, but it still hurt our credit. Good thing we had the reciept and good thing you did too!!

goodson_2008
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Oh no thats not good. I have a loan there I will have to keep my eye on it

Wife to the most wonderful,brave military man Josh and proud Mommy to my sweet little boy Jayden :)

NCMommy2be
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I am SO GLAD DH keeps every scrap of paper he is given, if it would have been me I would have tossed it away and we would have been screwed!

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Sorry to tell you but there is no way for anyone especially a teller to erase a transaction. It wouldn't only be on the tellers journal tape it would be on the computer. I used to work at a bank at we went thru teller tape to find differences and if we couldn't find them they were sent to the proof department and they would look and finally if that didn't work is went to research where through a teller number they could look up every transaction that teller did on a computer.

Also if the lobby is closed it means their computer have switched to the next business day and the transaction would be on that day. Deposits made after a certain time are on a working day and don't get adjusted into the system until the next day and may have been why it didn't show up when he looked when he got home.

mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM

same thing happened to a friend of mien not wachovia bank though it was another bank it took the bank a full week i think w/my friend chewing em out left & right & having proof w/the receipt that when she went to the bank & gave em proof they found out the teller stuck the money in someone elses accoutn & took some & put it in her account how the hell do you do that

Stephanie a non vaxxing/cloth diapering/full term breastfeeding sahm who is wanting another but waiting/WoW addicted momma to a 2yr old princess
mom_of_2_in_ny
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM

OMG! Thank God your husband looked at his recipt, I never look at my acct number, just the amt deposited and the total. Now I'll always look!!  I'm sorry, but hubby should be there making a stink about it, it's great that they fixed it, but how many other innocent people have this happened to and they dont even know.  Glad he caught it!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)