Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

ok - I know there is alot of debate on this but when do I change my dd from rear facing to forward facing? she is just shy of 13 months weights 20 1/2lbs and is 30 inches tall. i heard that they were going to change the laws about it - just not sure if they did. thanks

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
babyboomboom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM

For children under 2yrs it is 5x safer for them to ride rear facing in the car.  They should ride rear facing for as long as possible.  A child is too big for rear facing when they are over the limit of a convertible seat.  This is usually around 30-40lbs, 2-3yrs and when there is 1inch or less of hard plastic shell above their head.  There is NO documented case of broken legs due to rear facing. 

~Sarah
Certified Child Passenger Safety Tech. w/ SAFE KIDS in MD

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

naomnicole
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM

the car seat we currently have says up to 20lbs. should i buy another one that can withstand more weight? 

aarkat
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

a 'convertable' car seat is what you'll want to get next, in order to keep your daughter rear facing for longer.  There is a lot of good information about this in the Car Seat Safety group.  I've learned quite a bit in there!

babyboomboom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Quoting naomnicole:

the car seat we currently have says up to 20lbs. should i buy another one that can withstand more weight? 

YES!  It's very dangerous to use a seat past the weight limit.  Some good convertible seats are:

The First Years TrueFit.  It will RF to 35lbs and FF to 65lbs.  The price is $180.  You can get this at BRU and Target(I think)

The Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard/Advocate.  They all RF to 35lbs and FF to 65lbs.  The price is AD-$370/BLVD-$310/DC-$300/MA-$280.  You can get them at BRU, or Target.

The Cosco Scenera.  It will RF 35lbs and FF to 40lbs(so you will need another FF harness seat after this one)  The price is about $50.  You can get it at BRU, Target or Wal*Mart.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance.  It will RF to 35lbs and FF to 50lbs.  The price is about $140.  You can get this at Target, I think BRU also.

The Graco MyRide65.  It will RF to 40lbs and FF to 65lbs.  The price is about $150.  You can get this at Wal*Mart and BRU.

~Sarah
Certified Child Passenger Safety Tech. w/ SAFE KIDS in MD

hurleydoll18
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:29 PM

While the bare minimum is a yr and 20lbs, it is much safer to continue to rear face to the upper limits of the convertible car seat.  Many car seats not only have an age and weight requirement but also a height requirement (Scenera, 3 in 1s require child be 34 inches tall).  All convertible car seats rear face to at least 30lbs but most rear face to 35lbs.  Graco just came out with a new seat, My Ride, that rear faces to 40lbs and forward faces to 65lbs!  I encourage you to research why extended rear facing is so much safer.  Basic human anatomy shows that a one yr old's spine is not matured enough to handle forward facing crash forces.  The spine doesn't become ready until closer to 3 yrs old.  My big 21 month old (36 inches and 29lbs) is still rear facing in both of his seats and even has plenty of rear facing room left in the cheapest convertible available, the Cosco Scenera for only $43

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)