Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bah my 1 year old has regressed. I think I might scream! *Vent*

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

Seriously I'm flabbergasted.  We have been trying to get rid of the bottle since DS turned one.  I sold most of the bottles I had (Playtex mostly) and kept the ones he was using (Gerber and Avent).  We have finally gotten down to just the bedtime bottle this past week.  Well now the little bugger will not drink out of a sippy cup AT ALL!  He only wants a bottle.  The real kicker is that he doesn't want any of the bottles I kept.  No he wants the playtex ones which I have ONE that came in the mail this week.  UGH!  He cried himself to sleep last night.  I'm just so fed up with this!  If I could I would just go and buy 3 more of the Playtex ones and call it good since he only uses 2 bottles a day anyway but I can't afford to.  Bah bloody hell I've had it with this bottle thing! 

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, ERF, EH, formula feeding, self weaning, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one, that includes you.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
a.opat
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM

if it were me and i did this with my son i took the bottles away completely giving him no choice but the sippys. when he is thirsty enough he will give in. your not depriving him and he wont resist for long, your just putting your foot down and not letting him have his way all the time.

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I agree. If you're really that adament about him using a sippy cup, it's time to throw out ALL of the bottles.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM

That's what I did today with the exception of his bottle of formula that he had while we were on the go.  I won't throw them all out because I intend to use some of them again.  The biggest thing here is that he will not drink.  He's had 8 ounces of liquid ALL day.  That's it.  He's had a sippy cup available all day and hasn't drank an ounce out of it. 

Quoting a.opat:

if it were me and i did this with my son i took the bottles away completely giving him no choice but the sippys. when he is thirsty enough he will give in. your not depriving him and he wont resist for long, your just putting your foot down and not letting him have his way all the time.

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, ERF, EH, formula feeding, self weaning, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one, that includes you.

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:12 PM

He's just being stubborn. The bottle is a hard habit to break. Just keep at it and if you're worried about him getting dehydrated, switch out some formula for Pedialyte.

Quoting AJSMOMMY0508:

That's what I did today with the exception of his bottle of formula that he had while we were on the go.  I won't throw them all out because I intend to use some of them again.  The biggest thing here is that he will not drink.  He's had 8 ounces of liquid ALL day.  That's it.  He's had a sippy cup available all day and hasn't drank an ounce out of it. 

Quoting a.opat:

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

NiahandAvasmama
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:16 PM

what I was told to do was that the ONLY liquid to go into the bottle, when you are trying to break them from it, is WATER.  They will get bored of it.  Put all the juice and such in his sippy cup.  It won't be easy but it will be a lot easier the sooner you do it.  Good luck!

expecting boyplaying soccer girltoddler girl

lovepink26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:18 PM

He's only a year old and you're forcing him into giving up the bottle? Listen to your child... he's obviously not ready. Most doctors would tell you to have them off the bottle by 15 months. Why the rush?

CafeMom Tickers
saralouise
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM

I think it's just easier to get rid of them all so you don't have the temptation to give in to him. if he doesn't like the sippy cup, try a regular cup with a straw and make sure it says at your table at all times so it doesn't get spilled anywhere. if he doesn't know how to use a straw yet, you can dip it and plug it and let it trickle in his mouth, that's how my boys learned to use a straw. once they liked doing that then they enjoyed sippy cups. good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)