Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why put your stuff in storage, before moving?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM
  • 1 Replies

I watch a lot of HGTV. I saw a episode the other day where a couple was looking to move from there apartment to a house. Even though they had not found a house yet, they had most of there stuff in storage with the exception of a few items they used daily.

DH's friend did this a few years ago. While they were looking for a house they packed and moved a lot of stuff into a storage unit.

I'm extremely confused as to what the point of this is. I understand wanting to have everything packed and ready to move when you find a place, but to move it to a storage unit? It seems like more work. First you have move it into storage (and probably recruit family and friends to help), then when you are actually ready to move, you have to ask for that help again. Plus you have to move the stuff from storage AND whatever is still at your home. Plus you have to pay monthly storage fees, and rent for space in your apartment/house that your not using.

Why not just pack everything up and leave it in your existing home? Maybe in a extra bedroom, or in area that isn't used much. Once everything is packed, and the boxes are stacked in a corner, they take up much less room than when they were out. I know, I'm doing it right now.

Can someone explain this to me?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Humboldt0608
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM

It's probably easier and less stressful to live in a home that isn't cluttered and stacked ceiling high with moving boxes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)